6 replies to this topic

#1 Dusja

Dusja

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone read Archimandrite (now Bishop) Tikhon Shevkunov's Everyday Saints and Other Stories? I'd like to hear comments.

Title: Everyday Saints and Other Stories

Author: Archimandrite (now Bishop) Tikhon Shevkunov. Translation into English by Julian Henry Lowenfeld.

Publisher: Pokrov Publications 2012

ISBN: 978-0-9842848-3-2, 978-0-9842848-4-9

Pages: 504, illustrated

Price: 23 USD

Links: http://www.everyday-saints.com/, http://pokrovpublications.com

Description: In the book, the author tells about monastic life in the Soviet Union/Russia.

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

My wife has dipped into it (in Russian). She thinks it is written at a very basic level - 'for babushki' - and not on the spiritual plane.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

I've read it a couple of times.  It is an inspiring collection of stories of how Christians live in quite "ordinary" settings and circumstances.  Well worth reading.

Fr David

#4 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

... it is written at a very basic level - 'for babushki' - and not on the spiritual plane.

I could not disagree more. "Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein." (St. Luke 18:17). Obviously it's not the Philokalia, but it's certainly not just for gossipy grandmas. 

Edited by John S., 09 February 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#5 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

Further, I wouldn't be surprised if, in Christ's day, many claimed His parables were "basic" and "not on the spiritual plane." But that's the point: sometimes complex spiritual truths are more easily understandable when told as stories.

I loved the book.

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

As to Christ's parables, see Matthew 13:9-11.

#7 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I have read this book a couple times. I found it to be a very good book and very interresting stories. The book is what it is, if you are trying to compare it to something like Elder Joseph of Mount Athos or Paisios or the life of Seraphim of Sarov....etc. you may be disappointed or miss the mark. There are so many great books written concerning the patristic fathers, but this book is stories from a Russian monk telling basically everday experiences in his life at the monestary. Read it, find some edification or simply enjoy the stories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users