3 replies to this topic

#1 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

I have recently heard that David Bentley Hart has completed a translation of the New Testament for Yale University Press.

Does anyone know why? or perhaps more precisely, what the point of Professor Bentley Hart adding to the ever increasing proliferation of translations?

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

I would stay away. The one article he wrote about this new translation, he sure enough kept his insistence that the New Testament teaches universalism but admits of a few (insignificant) verses that say otherwise. The Church rejects universalism but Hart has even exhonerated Origen having rejected the 5th-7th ecumenical councils on this. 

In the article he even conveys the fact that he is intentionally infusing modern day politics and economics (capitalism vs communism) and sort of chastises Clement of Alexandria for emphasizing to the rich people of his day to cultivate the poverty of the heart (humility, alms, prayer etc) etc. 

Christ's Rabble | Commonweal Magazine

Edited by Kosta, 13 February 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Max,

Very simple answer to your question of why?  Professor Bentley Hart is an academic, and you know the old truism about the academic world: "Publish or die!"

Fr David Moser

#4 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Thank you Kosta and Fr, David for your thoughts

I am grateful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users