5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Cheesman

Keith Cheesman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

What things should be done with or for a newborn child? Obviously baptism is required in due course, but are there any special prayers or other practices which should be observed to properly bring up the child in the faith at this early stage?

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

The Great Book of Needs (Trebnik, Euchologion) contains the prayers read over a woman for the day she has given birth, and for the newborn at the eighth day after birth, when, historically at least, the child's name was given. There is also the churching of the infant at or around forty days after birth.

Some arrange the time of the child's baptism to approximately coincide with the 40 days. If so, the baptism is conducted first, and the churching immediately afterwards.

#3 Keith Cheesman

Keith Cheesman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thank you Olga. Are there more ongoing / general prayers for small children that can be used? What sort of things can be done at home? I wasn't brought up in the faith so I have no idea about these things...

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Very small children can be taught simple prayers to say for themselves before bed and on waking, slightly older ones can be taught standard prayers like the Our Father. Some families pray as a group at set times, others pray individually. Crossing oneself before prayer and before and after eating can also be taught from a very young age.

For babies or toddlers too young to be taught these things, the parents and other family members who are old enough to do so pray on behalf of the little ones.

Your priest should also be able to guide you on all this. :)

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Perhaps slightly off topic but as one who, with our junior Reader, assists the priest in the giving of Holy Communion by holding the Communion cloth, I do wish that parents of infants would train them to take Holy Communion by practising the procedure at home with a spoon and some suitable red liquid. Some mothers do this, and their children take Holy Communion very nicely and with eagerness, but other parents, perhaps who bring their children infrequently, I guess do not train them and we have the resultant wriggling and screaming that makes giving Holy Communion difficult with frequent spillages on to the cloth.

Edited by Rdr Andreas, 27 May 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#6 Keith Cheesman

Keith Cheesman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Thanks again, Olga :)

Rdr Andreas, I guess like me the thought never occurred to them! Might it not also be the different environment and people and not just the physical process? Anyhow, I might give it a go when the time comes.

Edited by Keith Cheesman, 29 May 2017 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users