Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

Friends,

Christ is risen!  Would anyone here be able to give a couple sentence comparison/contrast between the available Pentecostaria in English, primarily the SJKP one and the HTM one (although any other English translations would be welcome as well)?  I am looking into purchasing one, but I would love to hear any thoughts on the options before I make the investment.  Thank you!

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

I can't really compare translations but in England, I think the HTM is the one generally used. I've had it for some years and am happy with it.

#3 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Generally,  SJKP publications are in the Russian tradition, and  HTM ones are in the Greek/Byzantine tradition. So the HTM one will have the text marked for the Byzantine melodies, and the SJKP one will not (such markings can be distracting if you don't use them), and the HTM one will be using Byzantine tones ("Plagal Second Mode" and "Grave Mode") whereas the SJKP one will use the common chant tones 1-8. 

So if you go to a non-byzantine/Russian church, the SJKP one would probably be a better fit, and vice versa. 

(I go to an OCA church, so use the SJKP one.)

#4 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

It depends on the jurisdiction of the parish you belong to as each jurisdiction has its own variations on the rubrics and musical tradition so it is best to find out which one your parish uses and use that.  

I belong to an Antiochian Parish and we use the one published online by the Antiochian Archdiocese of America (they publish the weekly services around a month in advance all year) as we are guided by our diocese.  It is best to use the same as your parish as it can get confusing with the rubrics and translations otherwise, all translations have their strengths and weaknesses due to the nature of language.

Phoebe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pentecostarion, sjkp, htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users