Norman Turner

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Interior Peace

Interior or inner peace is sometimes associated with last stages of Christian maturity and may be a precursor of Union with God.   Some Roman Catholics associate it with Abandonment to Divine Providence.  Attainment of inner peace may be a slow and painful spiritual journey.  It has been noted, as well, that is a gift of God.  However, the acquisition and condition of inner peace is best described by those who have actually attained it.  St. Seraphim of Sarov, speaking of Holy Spirit, alludes to inner peace only obliqueIy.  Some western writers hypothecize the necessary antecedents to this peace without necessarily having attaining it. Yet, I suspect that the actualization and character of inner peace may be described in the writings of some of the saints.  But, which saint and in what writings?  Can anyone help me out?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

It is not an area our fathers like to speak of as it goes far beyond what words can describe let alone explain.  The life of Silouan the Athonite and the Writings of Elder Saphroney can help, but in the end it is an experience which cannot be put into words.

Most of the older fathers speak of it as something which happens as a result of our developing relationship with God and as a personal experience we can only be guided to by one who has experienced it, although it is a long journey we may not even finish in this life as relationship with Christ.  

As a process it starts with our baptism and Crismation into the Church and is nourished by the Eucharist, we approach God in the services of the Church and by grace develop the ability to retain grace.  I am trying to express something I have only read about and had fleeting experiences off, in the end it is something we can not understand until we experience it ourselves.

#3 Ilaria

Ilaria

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Saint Isaac the Syrian's writings would be of help...

Anyway, the Orthodox teaching in this regard maybe summarized in few words: if your conscience is not troubled you may acquire interior peace at ease;  the way to get a peaceful conscience is repentance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users