#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

I was watching a Christmas Carol Concert on a TV Channel in Greece called 4E.

I was shocked to see a lady playing a piano, a drummer with his drums,  and like a small greek hand held guitar being played, in the front, were the Iconostasis is.

While the people were singing in the front, some of them were standing on the first steps were the priest comes out.

I know we are not allowed to have any musical instruments in our  Orthodox Church. This did not look right. 

Has anyone seen this before?

Edited by Angie, 22 December 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

Dear Angie,

The only thing I've ever come across close to what you describe is the deliberate defilement of Orthodox Churches in Albania and Albanian occupied Northern Epirus by the Albanians who often hold concerts in seized Orthodox churches as a sign of disrespect.  I agree it is most disturbing both as musical instruments are not allowed in Orthodox churches and also because Orthodox churches should not be used for such events. Especially disturbing is the use of the first steps of the Ambon which are reserved for the clergy and for the laity when receiving the Divine Mysteries, a place set apart for the reception of Holy Communion should never be used for a secular* concert. 

We can only pray for those involved and for such practices to cease. 

* Even if the hymns are of a religious nature they are not liturgical and so are secular.

In Christ.

Daniel,

#3 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:57 AM

Thank you, I totally agree. 

#4 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

We just have cantors, but I have been to one that has a choir, and I believe that some may have an organ.

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

Orthodox churches are temples for worship, not concert halls. And musical instruments are not used, so organ accompaniment is inappropriate.

#6 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

Most likely it was a secular Christmas concert, as the singing of Christmas carols are popular in Greece. Holding the event in the church is Modernism at its worse.

Edited by Kosta, 30 December 2017 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users