Photo
* - - - - 163 votes

Is the Lenten prayer of St Ephraim ever said on Saturday or Sunday?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kseniya M.

Kseniya M.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

Dear friends,

I have a different question about the Prayer of St. Ephraim: is it ever said on Saturday or Sunday? My prayer book suggests that it's not said on Saturday evening or Sunday.

-Kseniya

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Dear friends,

I have a different question about the Prayer of St. Ephraim: is it ever said on Saturday or Sunday? My prayer book suggests that it's not said on Saturday evening or Sunday.

-Kseniya

Typically, no, since prostrations are an integral part of the prayer and after Vespers on Saturday evening it is liturgically Sunday when prostrations are inappropriate.

Herman the Pooh

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

Also, the prayer is to accompany our weekday fasting whereas Saturday and Sunday are technically not fast days which is why we have wine and oil on those days. I hadn't thought of this before: do we not say the prayer on the day of the Feast of the Annunciation if it falls on a weekday? I'd have thought not but can anyone say?

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Also, the prayer is to accompany our weekday fasting whereas Saturday and Sunday are technically not fast days which is why we have wine and oil on those days. I hadn't thought of this before: do we not say the prayer on the day of the Feast of the Annunciation if it falls on a weekday? I'd have thought not but can anyone say?

Yes, the Prayer of St Ephraim is done on the feast of the Annunciation: at the Vespers the evening before the feast; at the end of the Matins at the Vigil; and at every Hour including the Typika. However on this day becasue it is a feast the Prayer is only done once with three prostrations, and not repeated a final time as would normally be done otherwise.

Also- On this day even though it is the feast of the Annunciation material from the Lenten Triodion is sung along with that from the Feast itself.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

I've been saying the prayer much like I used to do the Jesus Prayer, a rather soft internal mindful whisper as I went about my day. Should I not be doing this? I and my family prostrate for the prayer during our morning and evening prayers together, and of course at services.

But what about using it as I have been?

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I've been saying the prayer much like I used to do the Jesus Prayer, a rather soft internal mindful whisper as I went about my day.

From one layman to another, I see nothing wrong with this. It keeps my mind focused on what is important and not what isn't. I also say Psalm 50 repeatedly during the day. The Fathers tell us to pick a few versus, "Unseen Warfare" says up to 25 versus and repeat these as often as is necessary to keep your mind focused on Christ. Just because timing of the year currently is Great Lent, should not make a difference in what we use to stay focused.

Paul

#7 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

I've been saying the prayer much like I used to do the Jesus Prayer, a rather soft internal mindful whisper as I went about my day. Should I not be doing this? I and my family prostrate for the prayer during our morning and evening prayers together, and of course at services.

Your private prayer/devotions are between you and God and perhaps your priest/spiritual advisor. I think the general guidelines are specifically applicable to corporate worship, you can apply them to your private worship as you deem appropriate or not, remembering (at least it seems this way sometimes) that for every rule or guide there is at least one exception.

* The rule is that there are always exceptions to the rule (except this rule). Wait a minute... Welcome to Orthodoxy

Herman who follows the Pooh rule**

** The rule of Pooh: never pass up an opportunity for a nap

#8 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

Well, the prayer of Saint Ephrem is said with thre prostration only on Sunday night at the end of the vespers. But this is the opening of the day after i.e Monday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users