#21 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

You are lucky who can do it that way Effie.

Peter, isn't this way possible for you?

Effie

#22 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

Actually i have a question on almsgiving. How would i give alms meant on behalf of someone who has departed? Is there a prayer before handing out money to various causes? We offer prayers and give names to be recited over the Eucharist for the dead but how about giving out alms in that persons name?

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

How about, "Please take this gift in the name of N. May God bless you both."

Just a thought.

#24 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

Actually i have a question on almsgiving. How would i give alms meant on behalf of someone who has departed? Is there a prayer before handing out money to various causes? We offer prayers and give names to be recited over the Eucharist for the dead but how about giving out alms in that persons name?

Kosta, this is done frequently over here. Money is given to e.g. the Old People's Home in the name of someone who has departed. Your priest will be able to tell you if there exists a special prayer for this gesture.

Effie

#25 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

Ah as Paul and Effie mentioned that is not difficult.

Also the Fathers (can't recall now who) say that when we offer the alms we politely ask the recipient to please pray to God for the soul of ... (ah I think Saint Niphon says something about it)

Or if you feel you can't ask for prayer, you can say in your mind a prayer like: "Christ our Lord, please accept this offering and have the mercy on the soul of ... " (St. Niphon says that he saw Christ receiving the offering from the hands of the giver and giving it to the beggar)

#26 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

This evening, we went to the Lavra Podvorie for the Service of the Akathist to the Mother of God. On our return, when we arrived at our metro station, and we saw our 'begging babushka' (see post #16) - her name is Yevgenia. We gave her a certain amount of money. She tried to grasp our hands to kiss them but we said we are sinners. 'It's the Great Fast, but see', she said, pointing to a kiosk selling roast chickens, 'people are eating meat. And they smoke, drink, go to bars and clubs. People are perishing!' She started to weep. 'Pray, my dears; pray in the morning, at midday and in the evening. We must pray or we shall perish!'

#27 Peter S.

Peter S.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Peter, isn't this way possible for you?

Effie

I am not sure i understood you correctly. We dont give money to our priest so he can give it personally to beggars I happen to meet in Oslo. But we have a box in church that I/we put money in to a poor community in Palestine, but it is not a personal offering.

I read one commentary of Matthew by Chrysostom about the woman with the alabaster box in Bethany before the passion. And he putted that it is also a correct way to respond an alm and gifts that we get, but that it is not the givers duty to expect a "correct" response.

Peter

#28 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

I am not sure i understood you correctly. We dont give money to our priest so he can give it personally to beggars I happen to meet in Oslo. But we have a box in church that I/we put money in to a poor community in Palestine, but it is not a personal offering.

I read one commentary of Matthew by Chrysostom about the woman with the alabaster box in Bethany before the passion. And he putted that it is also a correct way to respond an alm and gifts that we get, but that it is not the givers duty to expect a "correct" response.

Peter

Peter, we also have a box for the poor in the church - also a box for the restoration of the church......... I don't know whether I am happy or sad that so much money is being spent on our church - the best of everything. On the one hand I enjoy the beauty of our church but on the other I can't help wondering whether it could have been kept a little simpler. I posted photos a while back of the outside of the church and its grounds. I will try and take some pictures of the beautiful inside and post them soon.

I digressed as usual.

When we go to church we usually put a small amount into the poor box, as do most of the worshippers.

The money we give to our spiritual father (my husband and I) is something personal that we feel we need to do. My son does something else. He buys things e.g. a whole carton of evaporated milk, and he gives these material goods to a
Children's Home/Shelter that is situated near our house.

We are all very lucky and we are obliged to help those of our fellow men who are going through a rough spot or who are in a situation where they cannot provide for their families. It doesn't really matter what method we use to help others, as long as we do not expect to be considered superior in any way for doing this - this leads to pride which leads to all the other sins.

Today we are in a position to help, tomorrow we might need help ourselves. We are all equal in the sight of God.

#29 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

Peter, after reading your last post again I just wanted to clarify something.

The reason we give this money to our spiritual father who is also a relative by marriage is that he is in a position to know which families might need some extra money. A lot of people are too proud to ask the Church for money but because he knows so many people and because he is invited into so many homes, he can discreetly help.

Remember Dickens and his comment about those who trample on human respect and human privacy all in the name of charity?

Effie

#30 Peter S.

Peter S.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Peter

This is the Homily on Matthew by Chrysostom which I meant:

And why was it He did not merely say "She hth wrought a good work," but before this "Why trouble ye the woman?" That they might learn not at the beginning to require too high principles of the weaker sort. Therefore neither doth He examine the act merely itself, but taking into account the person of the woman. And indeed if He had been making a law, He would not have brought in the woman, but that you might learn that for her sake these things were said, that they might not mar her budding faith, but rather cherish it, therefore He saith it, teaching us whatever good thing may be done by any man, though it be not quite perfect, to recieve it, and encourage it, and advance it, and not to seek all perfection at the beginning. For, that at least He Himself would rather have desired this, is manifest from he fact, that He required a bag to be borne, who had not where to lay His head. But then the time demanded not this, that he should not correct the deed, but that He should accept it only.

St. John Chrysostom, Homily LXXX, Matt 26, 6,7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users