86 replies to this topic

#1 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

Does anyone happen to know of the status of Michael Asser's LXX translation into traditional English to be published by CTOS? When is it to be published?

#2 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

I haven't heard anything except it was supposed to be published late last year...

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Does anyone happen to know of the status of Michael Asser's LXX translation into traditional English to be published by CTOS? When is it to be published?

It has been published for a while now. I have a copy. It's not precisely as Michael intended - the publisher's editor interfered a little. It's a handsomely-produced book, though the colours of the icon illustrations are harsh.

The original can be found here

www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/pdf/kjvsept.pdf

#4 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

It has been published for a while now. I have a copy. It's not precisely as Michael intended - the publisher's editor interfered a little. It's a handsomely-produced book, though the colours of the icon illustrations are harsh.

Actually, I knew the Psalter was out but in the preface of that book he said he would be doing the whole OT. I saw something on Orthodox England which said this work would be in six volumes, beginning with the Pentateuch which was to have been published late 2008 and the rest of the volumes appearing throughout 2009. I would love to get these volumes as they are available and I am hoping the publication schedule doesn't become another waiting period like the OSB was. The Psalter alone does look tempting, though...........

#5 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I actually prefer Mr. Asser's original translation to the one that was eventually published. The CTOS edition appears to be an amalgamation of Asser's work and the translations found in the service books of St. Gregory Palamas Monastery in Etna, CA.

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

I actually prefer Mr. Asser's original translation to the one that was eventually published.

I also prefer the original.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

Could someone please provide examples of how the CTOS edition altered Asser's translation? I'm curious.

#8 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Ryan: Could someone please provide examples of how the CTOS edition altered Asser's translation? I'm curious.

I haven't scanned the whole lot but at the outset, Michael Asser has 'ungodly' in psalm 1 and the editor changed it to 'impious'! Why? Who knows! But the editor seems not to appreciate the euphony and cadence of the KJV.

#9 Nathaniel Woon

Nathaniel Woon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

Dear Rdr David,

This was posted recently on the Orthodox England site -
http://orthodoxengla...uk/old_test.htm
The Liturgical Translation of the Orthodox Old Testament Awaits Publication
As readers will know, since 2005 a translation of the Psalter has been available on the Orthodox England website.

The particularity of this translation is that it was made from the Septuagint, as received by the Orthodox Church, and translated into liturgical English, as established by the King James Bible. We thus called it the ‘King James Septuagint’ Psalter, since it follows the pattern of Orthodox liturgical English set by the brilliant translation of the Lenten Triodion by the then Archim. Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary over thirty years ago. In 2008 a version of this translation was published by CTOS in California.

We have now heard that the entire text of the Old Testament, the Septuagint, translated into liturgical English on the same principles as the Psalter from the text published by Apostoliki Diakonia of the Greek Orthodox Church, is completed. It had been expected that the complete Septuagint, like the Psalter, would be published by CTOS, but in the event this initiative fell through. However, we hope that the ‘King James Septuagint’ may still be published in full, perhaps in the USA, in the next year or two. Meanwhile, for readers’ interest we here publish, with permission, the translation of the Book of Genesis.
Fr Andrew
1. See: http://www.orthodoxe...pdf/kjvsept.pdf

Edited by Fr Raphael Vereshack, 18 August 2009 - 10:20 PM.
corrected formatting

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

Thanks Nathaniel for this news. I know the original plan was to publish it in several volumes... I wonder if they're still considering this. I also wonder how much the KJV's New Testament would need to be changed to be "Orthodox." I'm guessing not much... it would be wonderful to have a complete Orthodox KJV.

#11 Nathaniel Woon

Nathaniel Woon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Dear Ryan,

I think the idea is to have it in one volume but it will very much depend on the publisher I think. As there are no details on that yet, let us keep Michael Asser and the translation project in prayer.

#12 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:40 AM

Dear Rdr David,

This was posted recently on the Orthodox England site -
http://orthodoxengla...uk/old_test.htm
The Liturgical Translation of the Orthodox Old Testament Awaits Publication
As readers will know, since 2005 a translation of the Psalter has been available on the Orthodox England website.

The particularity of this translation is that it was made from the Septuagint, as received by the Orthodox Church, and translated into liturgical English, as established by the King James Bible. We thus called it the ‘King James Septuagint’ Psalter, since it follows the pattern of Orthodox liturgical English set by the brilliant translation of the Lenten Triodion by the then Archim. Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary over thirty years ago. In 2008 a version of this translation was published by CTOS in California.

We have now heard that the entire text of the Old Testament, the Septuagint, translated into liturgical English on the same principles as the Psalter from the text published by Apostoliki Diakonia of the Greek Orthodox Church, is completed. It had been expected that the complete Septuagint, like the Psalter, would be published by CTOS, but in the event this initiative fell through. However, we hope that the ‘King James Septuagint’ may still be published in full, perhaps in the USA, in the next year or two. Meanwhile, for readers’ interest we here publish, with permission, the translation of the Book of Genesis.
Fr Andrew
1. See: http://www.orthodoxe...pdf/kjvsept.pdf

Thank you so much for letting me know- I am very much looking forward to this! What a blessing!

#13 Michael Asser

Michael Asser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

Those members of the Monachos Discussion Community who have expressed interest in my translation work may be interested to know that I have begun to post the books of my 'King James Septuagint' translation on the Orthodox England website, http://orthodoxengland.org.uk in order to ascertain if they meet any need. Genesis to Deuteronomy are already posted, with Joshua, Judges, Ruth and 1 and 2 Kingdoms on the way. This is of course very much 'work in progress' and I am sure will need revision in the light of comments received.

Michael Asser

#14 Ryan Close

Ryan Close

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

Is your version of the Psalter on the orthodoxengland site the one you prefer over the CTOS version? Your version seems to be closer to HTM than to Coverdale. David James made a Russian Orthodox Psalter based on Coverdale. Here is a comparison I made:

HTM: Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly,
ASR: Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly,
COV: Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly,

nor stood in the way of sinners, nor sat in the seat of the pestilent.
nor stood in the way of sinners, nor sat in the seat of the pestilent.
nor stood in the way of sinners, and hath not sat in the seat of the scornful.

But his will is rather in the law of the Lord,
But his will is in the law of the Lord,
But his delight is in the law of the Lord;

and in His law will he meditate day and night.
and in his law shall he meditate day and night.
and in his law will he exercise himself day and night.

#15 Michael Asser

Michael Asser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Dear Ryan,

The CTOS version of my Psalter was a minor revision to achieve what the editors felt was a more accurate reflection of the original Greek text than mine. I took the Psalter of the King James Bible rather than Coverdale as my base and altered it where it differed from the Greek; but I tried always to keep as close as possible to King James. Coverdale's 1549 Prayer Book Psalter from the Hebrew is incomparable in its poetry, but very free as a translation, and I felt that King James was 'straighter' as a base to work from. Even Coverdale's 1540 Latin-English diglot Psalter, which is much closer to the Latin Vulgate and therefore the LXX than his 1549 Psalter, is still very idiosyncratic. Unfortunately there is as yet no printed edition of this diglot. I'm afraid I have not seen David James' 'Coverdale' Russian Orthodox Psalter.

#16 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hello, Michael-

I have longed to have a full Orthodox Bible in traditional English based upon the LXX and Byzantine texts. What is the approximate completed status of your work and is there a general idea of when it will be available in print?

David

#17 Michael Asser

Michael Asser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

Dear David,

I completed my 'King James' version of the Septuagint based on the Apostoliki Diakonia Greek text a year ago. Having established that the Crown Copyright Office had no objection to my publishing an adaptation of the King James OT in this country, I began to post it on the Orthodox England website in order to test critical reaction, identify errors and begin to make final corrections. But a problem may arise when I come to post the deuterocanonical books, which are King James virtually unchanged, and for which I shall most certainly need copyright permission, which may or may not be granted. I had hoped to have found a US publisher by now, but have had no success to date. That is one reason why I'm putting my text out on the Web: to see if it meets a need.

It was never my intention to produce a King James New Testament; but a few months ago I began to work on St Matthew's Gospel.

Michael

#18 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I am looking forward to reading more of your translation as it comes out. Although I first developed a love for reading Scripture in High School with the modern language NIV, as an adult I have always preferred the richness and beauty of more traditional English. I believe your work does serve a definite need; I know several Orthodox Christians who have also expressed a preference for a "Thee/Thou" translation over a "You/Who!" Bible. I take it from your post that the same copyright restrictions do not apply to the KJV in the U.S.?

#19 Ryan Close

Ryan Close

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

The sample of the Psalter published by the CTOS seems to have only changed the first lines of a Psalm. And these are used in Antiphons and Prokeminons. Someone told me they changed it to make it closer to their own service books. And the way they changed it makes it more clunky and wordy.

What manuscript tradition are you translating the New Testament from? The Byzantine Majority Text?

#20 Michael Asser

Michael Asser

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

In reply to Reader David, the King James Bible is I believe free of copyright everywhere (including the USA) except here in the United Kingdom.
In reply to Ryan, I am translating Matthew's Gospel from the 1904 Patriarchal Text of the New Testament.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users