Photo
- - - - -

What clothing is appropriate for a summer visit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'll be returning to Mount Athos soon. My only time there was Holy Week 2007, and the weather was rather mild and wonderful. It got hot during mid-day and rather cold at night.

What should I expect for a July visit? And what clothing is appropriate? I assume I should wear long trousers at all times. Is a short sleeve shirt OK to wear? Should it be long sleeve?

I would ask my priest, but he is already in Greece, and I am meeting him in Thessoloniki shortly, where it is 93F/34C.

I will also be attending a Greek wedding before my trip, and any advice on what an American would be expected to wear would be helpful too.

Thank you very much,

Matthew

#2 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

I'll be returning to Mount Athos soon. My only time there was Holy Week 2007, and the weather was rather mild and wonderful. It got hot during mid-day and rather cold at night.

What should I expect for a July visit? And what clothing is appropriate? I assume I should wear long trousers at all times. Is a short sleeve shirt OK to wear? Should it be long sleeve?

I would ask my priest, but he is already in Greece, and I am meeting him in Thessoloniki shortly, where it is 93F/34C.

I will also be attending a Greek wedding before my trip, and any advice on what an American would be expected to wear would be helpful too.

Thank you very much,

Matthew

Dear Matthew,

Greece is hot (especially in the afternoon sun) in July. The men here who have been to the Holy Mountain, however, can guide you as to the proper clothing for a visit to such a holy place. I know that at monasteries and churches in Greece, in general, men are asked to *not* wear shorts.

As for the Greek American wedding, that may depend on where in the U.S. it will be, but in general, in the different Greek Orthodox churches throughout the U.S. which I have been to for weddings, men always wear a jacket and tie.

In Christ,
Alice

#3 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

I recommend a lightweight breatheable fabric long-sleeved shirt. Go with cotton or linen, avoid polyesters for comfort's sake. It will help protect you from the sun as well!

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Matthew,

We missed each other there by about 6 months. I went during Thanksgiving 2007. Have you visited the Friends of Mount Athos site recently? Or the Athos section of this site?

From the pictures I have seen short sleeve shirts are fine. When I was there, it was windy and cool enough to need a light jacket, but hot enough I was drenched in it. I would say dress cool and take a windbreaker and umbrella just in case. As you know they have blankets for beds so you should be warm enough at night.

I sorely wish I could tag along with you.

Paul

#5 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

Dear Matthew,

The way you worded your post, I am not clear if you will be attending a Greek wedding in the U.S. before you embark on your trip to Greece, or if you will be attending a Greek wedding in Greece before you embark on your trip to Mt. Athos.

If it is in Greece, very few men wear ties in the summer...a crisp nice cotton dress shirt with just the top button open is the 'look' around here in the summer and is perfectly acceptable. However, a dark dress trouser would be more proper and appropriate than khakis. A pair of dress shoes (unless you want to stand out as an American, do *not* wear sneakers--only Americans wear sneakers everywhere, Europeans like shoes) and you are good to go!!

Alice :-)

#6 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

I think Herman makes a good point about sun protection. I think a breathable long sleeve shirt might be ideal.

Thank you for the links, Paul. I'm beginning to think that long sleeves will feel more appropriate when in an actual church or other holy place.

And thank you very much Alice for defining "the look". Yes, I am going to a wedding in Greece. I can do a crisp nice cotton dress shirt with dark trousers.

I should add that I am so thankful to be able to return the the Holy Mountain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users