Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

слава тебе, боже нас, слава тебе.

In Christ, Nicolaj

First I see the text in cyrillic font, then when revisiting the post I see the question marks.

#22 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

i'll look further into the spacing issue.

One more thing about the spacing issue. As I look at this further, aside from the couple things that are jumbled and causing the page to be longer . . . I think just about everything that was single spaced previously is now double spaced on my end. And, also I see in the individual posts that the double spaces that were separating the paragraphs are now 4 spaces. So possibly this accounts for some of the increased length of the pages and need for more scrolling?

One other thing. In case this helps . . . when I read Nicolaj's post earlier the question marks at the top of his post were the Cyrillic font he spoke of and I didn't know what he meant about question marks. But, after returning to this thread to make this post, I see that the Cyrillic font has turned all to individual question marks.

Edited by Rick H., 31 August 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#23 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Dear Father David,

I rather fear you might need to re-load your browser's cache, since you clearly aren't seeing things as they should be: there should be the usual borders around posts, quotes, etc. Indeed, the forum is essentially identical to its old styling, just 'wrapped' in the new page layout.

If you are using Firefox, press SHIFT+CTRL+R to hard-reload a page (i.e. force the cache to re-load all elements), or CTRL+F5 in Internet Explorer. Do the post borders, etc., now appear for you?

i'll look further into the spacing issue.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

No, no change. Still seeing no borders or graphics at all. I am using Firefox 3.5.2 on a Windows XP system.

At the top of some pages (especially the base page for the community) I am getting an inordinate amount of white space - about 1/5 inches. Makes me think I am somehow missing some graphics. I'll keep playing with my own settings - but so far no joy.

Fr David

#24 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

One more thing that I didn't quite understand. Fr Matthew mentioned that the menu down the left side of the screen had been eliminated. It is still there on my screen so is there something I'm misunderstanding or there is something really strange about my browser.

Fr David

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

First I see the text in cyrillic font, then when revisiting the post I see the question marks.

Yes, I can confirm that this has not quite been fixed after all: posts are appearing in Cyrillic, but on return views are as question marks.

We'll continue to work on this.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#26 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

At the top of some pages (especially the base page for the community) I am getting an inordinate amount of white space - about 1/5 inches.

Correction - make that 1.5 inches

#27 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Dear Father,

There is clearly something wrong with the cacheing, which is causing you to see things the way you are. We'll need to find a way to remedy this.

You should be seeing a forum that looks markedly similar to what you saw before, save that it should be 'wrapped' in the new styling. The layout of the forum itself has changed very little. So there should be borders around posts, quotes, the same buttons, etc., as ever. When I browse the new forum styling in Firefox, this all appears as it should.

It may be that there is a server cache in your internet service provider, which is causing it to serve up both old and new stylings together, thus causing errors. If this is so, it should work itself out in 24-48 hours, when the trunk cache refreshes; but I would recommend continuing to hard-refresh in your browser to attempt to force the matter.

I'll continue to investigate whether there might be other causes at play.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#28 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Dear Father,

There is clearly something wrong with the cacheing, which is causing you to see things the way you are. We'll need to find a way to remedy this.
... it should work itself out in 24-48 hours, when the trunk cache refreshes; but I would recommend contin

A couple of other things I noticed.

When viewing profiles, everything is shoved over to the right 1/3 of the screen and then pushed downward.

Some of the pull downs from the top of the community screens (Notifications for example) appear at the bottom of the page rather than right under the pull down tab. When I am writing a PM, the little window that will finish a name when I start it in the address block also appears toward the bottom of the page rather than at the place where I am working.

Fr David

#29 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Dear all,

In order to help determine who is seeing what, I've put up a page that shows how thread views should be appearing to you in the new beta layout. I've placed a screen-shot of the new view side-by-side with one of the same page in the old, so one can see how the new design actually decreases the overall height of individual items.

Please could you have a look at this page for the screen-shot and details, and let me know if you're seeing something other than what it shows there (with precise details, please!).

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#30 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

Please note that the beta testing page has been updated to include this link to a set of detailed instructions on how to clear your cache in most popular web browsers. Please do follow those instructions and clear your cache if you feel you might bee seeing pages with problems that shouldn't arise.

#31 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Dear all,

In order to help determine who is seeing what, I've put up a page that shows how thread views should be appearing to you in the new beta layout.

Yeah, that's not what I'm seeing. I did go through the Firefox help screen and followed the directions on clearing the cache but that did not change anything. I think that perhaps there may be a server issue as you mentioned. We'll just wait a couple of days to see what is really what.

Fr David

#32 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:44 AM

I like the new look, but have to admit I am a fuddy duddy about disliking having to adjust to change. The obsession with the "new and improved" in our culture has always bothered me. I like my old clothes styles and my old '97 version of Microsoft Word...

Anyway, there seems to be some kind of spacing problem on my view. Even in full screen view the search box at the top of the page is resting on top of the "l" in "Special" and when I click on the "display modes" the box pops up half off the screen. Also the info under the name pops up in a box about 2-3 in below the name and abut 1/2 to the right rather then right below. I'm using IE v.8

#33 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

I have the same problem as Anna. I'm using Firefox.

#34 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

Dear all,

Having explored some settings on the server last night, we discovered the reason why some of you were seeing things quite differently indeed than others. There is (or rather now, was) a setting in one's user options to selection which forum 'skin' (template) one wished to use. Normally this is set to 'Forum Default', with the result being that when we switched the forum default to the new styling beta this week, your account would start to display with that style. However, on some accounts (and I don't know the rhyme or reason to which, or why), the setting was 'Monachos 2009', which was the old style. This meant that when the forum default was switched, those of you with this setting kept trying to use the old style -- which, when combined with the new wrapper, caused severe problems.

You'll know this was happening to you if you had continued to see the left-hand menu bar on forum pages yesterday after the initial switch to the new forum beta styling.

This should all be mended now. For good measure, clear your browser's cache, and you should be seeing things fully under the new styling.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#35 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Dear all,

Having explored some settings on the server last night, we discovered the reason why some of you were seeing things quite differently indeed than others.

Yes, the change was quite noticeable this morning. I haven't really checked all the little glitches yet, but the obvious ones have disappeared.

I am noticing, however, that the pages now load somewhat slower - Fr Raphael mentioned this earlier.

Fr David Moser

Edited by Father David Moser, 01 September 2009 - 01:58 PM.
add last line

#36 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

Around 11am MST today I seem to have lost my "unread posts" counter in the top line

Fr David

#37 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

How soon things are spotted! Thanks for noticing. We've had to disable this just for the moment while a different component is installed; but fear not - it shall return!

#38 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

How soon things are spotted! Thanks for noticing. We've had to disable this just for the moment while a different component is installed; but fear not - it shall return!

that's just cause I use it all the time

#39 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

Dear all,

Today has seen some major fixes and installation of some new elements in the forum-specific areas of the new styling. These have been designed to respond to a number of comments on white-spacing and design. The changes made today reduce (in some places, quite dramatically) the white-space on various forum pages - both by removing such spacing as is unnecessary, as well as re-designing certain page elements to make better use of the space on the screen.

There are a few new features that have been installed as well.

Please note that for the moment the 'thumbs up' rating feature on posts has not yet been re-introduced. This is not a permanent situation, simply a matter of re-coding it to display properly.

All feedback and / or bug reports warmly received -- particularly with regard to the display of individual posts, which has been somewhat refined today.

And, as always, other areas / elements that might be modified, etc., are always warmly received.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#40 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Dear Fr. Dcn. Matthew--Hats off to you for all the fixes in such a short time! Pretty impressive in my book. Everything that I have mentioned so far that needed correction has been corrected. So, in an effort to help with this I would like to share three things that I have noticed on my screen.

1.) On the Monachos Discussion Community page at the top, the headings: Main; Patristics; Monasticism; Liturgics; Community; Special; and New are on two separate lines. In the white area next to the search box are the first five headings and the last two are in the brown area below (on top of the welcome back, post counter, etc., line. And, all that you can read of the Community heading is the 'Comm' with the rest of the word behind the search box.

2.) Down below this area in the drop down menus with the arrows: Community; My Account; New Posts; Search etc. . . . When I click on the Community button there the drop down menu that has Forum, Messaging, and Social tabs is down almost off of the screen so that I cannot just click on whatever, but I have to scroll down to expose these categories in order to click on one of them. It used to just be right there so you could go "click-click" and be where you want to be.

3.) The personal profile pages are only displaying what can be viewed on the large block on the left hand side, the other five blocks to the left cannot be seen.

As far as the thumbs-up individual post rating feature (that is missing), as well as the five-star thread rating system goes, it would be okay with me if both of these disappeared completely. Just as bold-faced font is annoying to some, these features really are annoying to me for the most part, and sometimes, counterproductive, I think . . . and in the case of the thread rating feature sometimes misleading in terms of reflecting the content and quality of a given thread, as opposed to simply how someone feels about a given topic.

Thanks again very much for your top shelf work on this website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users