#41 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Dear Rick,

Thank you for the helpful feedback. It's just this sort of detailed note-taking that helps us (and it isn't just me) sort through some of these issues.

I'm glad to note many of the problems you had before appear to have gone. In your newest post, you note:

1.) On the Monachos Discussion Community page at the top, the headings: Main; Patristics; Monasticism; Liturgics; Community; Special; and New are on two separate lines. In the white area next to the search box are the first five headings and the last two are in the brown area below (on top of the welcome back, post counter, etc., line. And, all that you can read of the Community heading is the 'Comm' with the rest of the word behind the search box.

Thank you for this - which Anna has also noted. This is an issue with the main menu in the new styling, independent of the forum itself (though obviously connected, as in the new style the forum displays properly as part of the whole site design, rather than as a completely separate entity that has been styled to look close-to-identical to the main site, as has been the case in the past.

The main menu bar 'compressing' so that it appears on two lines, rather than one, is a result of it being displayed on low-resolution monitors (or in especially narrow browser windows), where it cannot fit all seven menu items in the width provided -- it compensates by moving the extra items down a row; but this is clearly no good, as they are then off the menu bar.

This is a known issue at the moment, and we're looking into a fix for it. I'm not quite sure how that fix will work, but something will be discovered. I apologise to all those on low-resolution monitors, who may be experiencing this annoying bug at the moment.

2.) Down below this area in the drop down menus with the arrows: Community; My Account; New Posts; Search etc. . . . When I click on the Community button there the drop down menu that has Forum, Messaging, and Social tabs is down almost off of the screen so that I cannot just click on whatever, but I have to scroll down to expose these categories in order to click on one of them. It used to just be right there so you could go "click-click" and be where you want to be.

Again this is due to low monitor resolution: since there is not much room on the screen, the drop-down menu being a bit lower on the page means that when it opens, it extends down to the bottom (or, in very, very low resolutions) beyond the bottom of the screen and requires some scrolling.

This should only really be an issue for those whose monitors are down at around 800 x 600 resolution; but I admit that if this happens to be the resolution you are using, it's an unhappy situation.

I'll see what we can come up with.

3.) The personal profile pages are only displaying what can be viewed on the large block on the left hand side, the other five blocks to the left cannot be seen.

The profiles have been a problem since the 2008 server software update, and I realise this is ongoing. I am hoping to spend some time myself trying to fix it over the weeks ahead, as I consider profiles an important part of the Community environment, and this problem is a serious one. My difficulty in addressing it in the past has been that I've never been able to re-create the problems others have on any of the machines I use to test the design; however, having seen various screen-shots that readers have sent in, I can now at least see the problem directly (even if I'm not entirely sure what's causing it).

I'm hoping to re-code the profile pages in a way that should prevent such issues in future. But this may take me a few weeks.

As far as the thumbs-up individual post rating feature (that is missing), as well as the five-star thread rating system goes, it would be okay with me if both of these disappeared completely. Just as bold-faced font is annoying to some, these features really are annoying to me for the most part, and sometimes, counterproductive, I think . . . and in the case of the thread rating feature sometimes misleading in terms of reflecting the content and quality of a given thread, as opposed to simply how someone feels about a given topic.

The ratings features are always a mixed bag, and I'm aware that some people like them, some don't. The thread ratings system is integrated into the software itself (and already working under the new beta styling); the 'thumbs up' feature is an extra we added in a year or so ago, which was met with a generally positive response.

I agree that either (or both) can be misleading. The thread ratings in particular (i.e. the stars) can be misused: one can simply give a poor rating when one disagrees with what is being said; a strong rating to what one personally likes (or even one's own threads); failing to use the rating as an indicator of the usefulness of the thread for other readers. The thumbs up system on posts I think is less prone to misuse: one can only indicate thumbs up (i.e. not down), one can only do so once per post, and one cannot give one's own posts a thumbs up -- so this serves as a fairly good indicator of people liking the contents / approach of a given post. Of course, nothing is a fool-proof indicator: there are many good posts for which people simply don't click the button, etc.

On this matter I am very open to feedback from all members. We needn't necessarily have either of these in place, and can remove them if this is the majority wish. Do please let us know in this thread.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#42 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Dear all,

Please could those of you who experienced member profiles displaying incorrectly (either as the left-hand column taking up the whole page, or the boxes on the right-hand side otherwise being invisible / overlapped / etc.) please look at any user profile as of now, and please let me know if all portions are displaying on the screen?

(Please note the actual look at the moment is a bit odd: it is not intended as the final design, simply to try to work out the source of the problems.)

Many thanks,
INXC. Dcn Matthew

#43 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

All of the portions are displayed on my screen.

#44 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

All of the portions are displayed on my screen.

Grand. We'll progress from there.

#45 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Grand. We'll progress from there.

Ah yes, MUCH better!

#46 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

The post counter doesn't work.

It is not necessary, so I would not be disturbed when it was no longer there.

In Christ, Nicolaj

#47 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

The post counter doesn't work.

Post counter?

I'm not sure what your referring to.

#48 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

The thing in the right corner, below the spot where your location is.

In Christ, Nicolaj

#49 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Dear Nicolaj,

Thank you for clarifying what you were referring to. The post count indicator on posts is, however, working correctly as designed.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#50 L. Allen

L. Allen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

New layout looks great. The little green 'new' banners on posts are particularly helpful. Well done on all the good work!

Liz

#51 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure if this was covered already, but the religious affiliation line is missing... right now you can only tell whether someone is Orthodox.

#52 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Dear all and sundry,

Over the past two days, the Books Review Area within the Discussion Community has been upgraded to use the new beta styling -- or rather, the styling has been updated to incorporate this area.

As many will be aware, the Books Review Area looks and operates a little differently from the rest of the forum, to try to set it apart and customise it as a place for precisely this sort of content. Its main listing looks different, and threads are styled differently (the first post off-set, containing book overview details; remaining posts in a thread as distinct reviews, etc.). Additionally, when submitting a new book for review, the system asks for specific information (author, publisher, etc.).

As some will have noticed, this area has not been displaying properly for some time (long before the beta testing of our new style; for at least the past six months), so I'm quite happy that we've been able to upgrade it and stylise it.

I would be grateful for members to explore that area, and do let us know (in this thread) if there are any display or issues that pertain specifically to it.

With thanks,

INXC, Dcn Matthew

(NB: There will be few to any updates over the weekend; work to continue refining the new styling will continue in the new week.)

#53 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hi Fr. Dcn,

Let me preface my observation with I just got my computer back from "the shop" after a week so I don't know that they worked on it too well though I am able to get online now.

When I go to any new page the little white line on the computer that says downloading "X items remaining" just above the tray always is downloading the flags. This is causng a 3-5 second delay before the page fully loads. Yes, I want my immediate gratification, but every single new page is downloading the flags. Though I don't see any flags on the page anywhere I know they go to the translation feature.

Paul

#54 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

When I click on community and the pop up box comes in, nothing is showing below the words subscribed thread and social groups which are both side by side. I am trying to see who is online but it seems this row and the one or two above it are now gone. It looks as if the box is just missing the bottom portion.

PC

#55 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:54 AM

When I click on community and the pop up box comes in, nothing is showing below the words subscribed thread and social groups which are both side by side. I am trying to see who is online but it seems this row and the one or two above it are now gone. It looks as if the box is just missing the bottom portion.

PC

Seems to be fiixed.

I am getting a notice at the bottom with a yellow exclamation mark "Done, but with errors on page."

each page takes a rather long time to load; even when coming back in from being gone.

#56 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

When I unloaded the cache as Fr Dn Matthew instructed all minor glitches disappeared.

I'm using Firefox as a browser. But I don't know if that makes a difference in seeing the site properly.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#57 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Dear Fr. Dcn. Matthew,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just noticed what seems to be a problem with the search feature. When I clicked on the black 'search' box at the top right of the page and tried to find the yoga and chakra thread, the message was "no results found." At the bottom left hand side of the page the word "error" was displayed. My search words for this were first "yoga" and then "chakra."

Thanks again,
Rick

#58 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Except for pages loading more slowly than with Firefox IE 8 is also working well for me.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#59 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

On IE 8 on some threads the writing is cut off on the left side of the page.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#60 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

Seems to be fiixed.

Now it's unfixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic