Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

When are they?

I only know that the Saturdays before a) the Sunbday of the Last Judgment and b) Pentecost are soul sabbaths and, while I know that there are others, I don't know when they occur. Are the Liturgy propers the same for all of them?

Thank you.

In Christ,
Michael

#2 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

They are liturgies on certain Saturdays set aside for praying for the departed. Actually, I think a liturgy for the departed can be performed every Saturday. Rubrically, I think this would involve the troparia for the departed. Matins has the most changes.

#3 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

• The Saturday of Meatfare Week (the second Saturday before Great Lent)—the day before the Sunday of the Last Judgement
  • The second Saturday of Great Lent
  • The third Saturday of Great Lent
  • The fourth Saturday of Great Lent
  • Radonitsa (Monday or Tuesday after Thomas Sunday)
  • The Saturday before Pentecost
  • Demetrius Saturday (the Saturday before the feast of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki—26 October)

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

Radonitsa (Monday or Tuesday after Thomas Sunday)

A small clarification: Herman is indeed correct, but in many Russian parishes outside of Russia, the memorials are held on Thomas' Sunday itself, and a shortened panikhida (what Greeks would call a trisagion) is conducted not in church towards the end of the liturgy as is normally done, but at cemeteries, at each grave of the faithful departed.

#5 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

Being this Saturday is the first one for 2010 Lent, what is etiquette for commemoration of the dead? I know only Orthodox, but how does this differ from the Sunday commemorations for Proskomedia service? Is this where Fr. puts out the tablet for all to come up and write their names during the service and later in the service (during the Great Entrance?) he then reads them all and each Saturday thereafter the list gets longer and longer?

#6 Owen

Owen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

In my (Greek Orthodox) parish, we put out blanks for the people to submit names of Orthodox Faithful Departed. These are commemorated as usual during Liturgy, then the collected lists are read out during the Memorial sung after Liturgy. This is repeated on Theodore Saturday (which is, technically, not a Saturday of Souls), and yet again on the eve of Pentecost.

#7 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

This is what is done in Russian tradition as well. What makes it easier for priest and family alike is the pomyannik - a booklet in which any individual or family can write the names of the living (the red section), and the departed (the black section). New names can be added as the need arises. Many folks keep their pomyanniki at the church, some bring them to church from home, and others keep two booklets, one at church and one at home.

#8 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

In the Greek church i usually attend, the All souls is the time where all souls can be prayed for.

#9 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:46 AM

As Owen said the Memorial Service is after the Liturgy. I have been in Greek Orthodox churches where the Memorial Service is longer than the Liturgy because of the number of departed names submitted, and the kolivas are on several tables in front of the iconostasis and the candles on the kolivas create a little brook of fire. :) It is really beautiful. Also there are several Saturday of the Souls one after the other starting this coming Saturday, and most of the lists are brought in church during the 1st Saturday of Souls and Frs keep them and there may be additional ones added later. This Sunday I was planing to attend the General Panikhidia at my SF chapel where Nicholas is buried, and I was so interested to experience it because it is MP and it is Russian tradition, but this may be canceled due to the storm they are expecting here :( I bought all the ingredients for the Koliva but I have to wait and call my SF tomorrow to learn if it will be canceled, or not. If I do not have a possibility to attend the Memorial Service due to the snow storm can I PM someone here with the names of the departed for the first Saturday I am missing, please?

#10 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:01 AM

If I do not have a possibility to attend the Memorial Service due to the snow storm can I PM someone here with the names of the departed for the first Saturday I am missing, please?

I would be honored to receive them Nina

#11 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Does anybody know why the GOAA practice is sometimes to serve a Saturday of Souls the Saturday before Forgiveness Sunday?  It is even listed as such on the GOAA Calendar (and they also list Theodore Saturday as a Saturday of Souls...).  Is this the practice in Greece or anywhere else?  Thank you!

#12 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

The practice int he Romanian church is to celibate the winter commemoration of the departed this coming Saturday (the Saturday of meat-fare), along with three Saturdays in Great Lent, the eve of Pentecost, along with the 7th of November.  These specific days of commemoration also including the 21st of May which is a national specific commemoration.  These being specific ones on to of the commemoration of the departed on every Saturday (that mamorals are allowed).

#13 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

Does anybody know why the GOAA practice is sometimes to serve a Saturday of Souls the Saturday before Forgiveness Sunday?  It is even listed as such on the GOAA Calendar (and they also list Theodore Saturday as a Saturday of Souls...).  Is this the practice in Greece or anywhere else?  Thank you!

Why wouldn't they? It's prescribed in the Triodion as such. Also, GOARCH follows the directives of the EP, not necessarily the Church of Greece.

Edited by Anthony Cornett, 14 February 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#14 Georgianna

Georgianna

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is the "full" Saturday of Souls (Ψυχοσάββατον) is only served on the Saturday before the Sunday of the Last Judgment and on the Saturday before Pentecost.  The Synaxarion reading from the Triodion and Pentecostarion for these two Saturdays are the same:

... the memory of all those who throughout the ages have fallen asleep in righteousness, and in the hope of resurrection unto eternal life, our holy fathers.
Make the souls of those who have fallen asleep before us worthy dwelling in Your courts with the righteous, and have mercy on us as the One Who alone loves mankind. Amen.

The Orthros on the Saturday of Souls:

Alleluiarion replacing Θεός Κύριος (God is Lord).

Evlogitaria of the Deceased,  Μετὰ πνευμάτων δικαίων... (Among the spirits of the righteous...), and Ἀνάπαυσον Σωτὴρ ἡμῶν... (Give rest with the righteous...) are chanted after the kathismata [although Μετὰ πνευμάτων δικαίων... is usually omitted in parish usage].

Prosomia Stichera, Idiomelon, Theotokion, "Small" Doxology, "Completed" Litany, Prayer at the Bowing of Heads, Aposticha, Idiomelon of the Deceased, Theotokion, Trisagion, and Apolitikion of the Deceased are offered after the Αἶνοι (Praises).

Ἐκτενῆς Ἰκεσία (Litany of Fervent Supplication) with Dismissal of Orthros [rubrics indicating the celebrant offers quietly at the Holy Altar].... followed by the Divine Liturgy.

The Saturday commemorating the Holy Ascetics [known and unknown who shown forth in asceticism] and the Saturday commemorating the miracle of kollyva [wrought by St Theodore of Tyro] are also referred to as "Saturday of Souls" within the GOAA.  These are days set aside within the liturgical year for the commemoration of the departed.  Faithful bring kollyva and offer names for the Memorial Service.  However, the above mentioned elements that are unique to the Orthros of the Saturday of Souls are not repeated.  Additionally, the Synaxarion readings are different.

Of course, there may be local variations of which I am not aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users