5 replies to this topic

#1 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Hello everyone. Today we commemorated the memory of St. Alexander Nevsky, a saint near and dear to my heart. I would love if we could continue the celebration here. Recently I've been having the whole violence vs. peace discussion with something one outside the church and brought it up with some people inside the church. I learned a phrase called the "martial instinct" when searching for an alternative to the word "violence". I don't have enough of understanding right now to express my thought clearly, but what I'd really like to do is explore the characters of saints like St. Alexander Nevsky and take a closer look at this "martial instinct" within humanity. Thank you.

#2 Alexander Zhdanov

Alexander Zhdanov

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

He was named the Sun of Russian land.

Bye,

Alexander

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just to mention that this afternoon, my wife, who has been in Moscow for a while but is this week visiting a friend in St Petersburg, went to St Alexander Nevsky Lavra in the centre of St Petersburg. The weather is wintry to say the least and, unlike in Soviet times, the streets are not kept cleared of snow. The Lavra, she found, is undergoing extensive restoration and there is scaffolding and there are workmen around the place. Nonetheless, services continue as usual. The point is that, despite what we hear about Russia, including what reportedly goes on in the Church, and despite the current works at the Lavra, she felt tremendous grace there, so moving that, she said, her soul felt such peace enter it. She was moved to tears. St Alexander Nevsky, pray to God for us!

#4 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I love when you share these personal accounts from Russia, Andreas! :-)
Why did the Soviets clear the streets of snow, but it is not cleared now? It must be difficult for automobile commuters...
May God bless you and your wife with His grace and all good things!

--Alice

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

It's difficult for everyone, Alice. Lydia said the snow is deep and from the eaves of buildings there are icicles one metre long - people can be injured or even killed by them falling. She got back to her friend's apartment with her feet and legs soaking wet and cold despite her boots. It's not clear why the streets are not cleaned; maybe they can't find people to do it, but in Soviet times and until I first started going to Russia, there were fleets of special trucks in the cities all the time keeping the roads clear of snow. Now, they seem not to bother. Life gets more and more difficult in various ways. Lydia's friend recently inherited her very elegant city centre pre-Revolutionary apartment so she rented out her old one and moved into this one. Her boss said, 'so, you must be making a lot of money' and he cut her salary by 15% - just from envy. Of course, she has no redress. And far, far worse things happen.

Is this all off topic? Will the post be pulled as better as a PM? Well - maybe it indicates why in Russia there's a need for grace and the help of the saints such as St Alexander Nevsky.

#6 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Maybe envy, covetousness and sloth have been the guiding principles in Russia for a long time, only now exist in new form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users