Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Are the Orthodox opposed to Thomas Aquinas?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Since posts of mine have been quoted by Ken McRae, I will respond. His long resume of Plested's academic profile is nothing to the point and not everyone here was disappointed when he left these shores. I - and others - would not agree that Plested's former position at IOCS has much significance. Aquinas remains a heretic and has no place in Orthodoxy.

#82 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thank you for that Brother Andreas. May God bless you and shine upon you; and fill you with the fullness of His Spirit.

I suppose it is pointless to say, though, that I didn't deny that Aquinas is a heretic; only stated what Catholic history says about him. Yes, he is very much the heretic, just like Evagrios the Solitary who occupies 40 pages in volume one of the Philokalia; but I suppose you just skip over him, and pay him no attention.

You take care, though, brother; and happy studies!

In Christ,
Innokenty

#83 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

The Introductory Note before the writings of Evagrius in vol. I of the 'Philokalia' makes very clear why one would not 'skip over him'.

#84 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

Academic studies is one thing and Ecclesiastic acceptance is another.  

#85 Panayotis

Panayotis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

'THE SUMMA', his 'magnum opus', was never completed; and the reason generally given for that is because he claimed to have attained the Beatific Vision, or perfect 'theoria'; after which he could never view his 'Summa' in the same light again.
As hard as that is for the Orthodox palate to swallow, that's what he claimed and what most "knowing" RC believe.
It was a truly life altering experience for him; after which he was quite severe in his subsequent judgment of his 'Summa'; regarding it as but mere "straw" (that would never survive the "purifying fire" of God on Judgment Day); in comparison to the true and perfect "theoria" which was imparted to him during his Beatific Vision.

It is regrettable that he never wrote several books of theological retractions; but even if he had, it's highy unlikely his ecclesiastical superiors would have ever permitted them to be published; at that time.

The Roman Catholic teaching of the beatific vision is not the same thing as theoria. Catholics believe as Thomas Aquinas and other Latin medieval scholastics taught, that the beatific vision involves beholding the essence of God in the *next life*. Despite this, those invested in finding counterparts to the great Holy Fathers outside the Orthodox Church, will insist that Thomas Aquinas experienced theoria in this life even though Aquinas himself did not believe that such a thing was possible.

The biography.com article cited is inaccurate in that it conflates two separate visions that Roman Catholics believe that Thomas Aquinas experienced. In 1273, during the feast of St. Nicholas he experienced the vision that made him cease writing. But it was earlier that year that he heard God's voice in church telling him: "You have written well of Me, Thomas..." for Aquinas would not stop writing if that is what he heard directly from God.

Nevertheless, at the order of Pope Gregory X, only a month after the second vision, Aquinas set off for the Council of Lyon with his work entitled, Against the Errors of the Greeks (ie. Orthodox Christians) to defend the false doctrines of Papal Supremacy, Filioque and Purgatory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users