83 replies to this topic

#81 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Strive to cultivate a deep humility and the malice of the demons shall not touch your soul. Then the plague shall not approach your dwelling for "he has given his angels the command to watch over you" (Ps. 90:11) and to drive away from you, invisibly, every hostile force. - Note #96, Chapters on Prayer, Evagrius Ponticus.

#82 Panayota K.

Panayota K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

I like this verse. Know matter how old one gets, this verse can keep you young.

"Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5.

I agree, unless you grow to be "older" than the elders. Then things can get a little blurry..

#83 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I wish people would use some humility when they get behind the wheel of a car. This is where I find it the most hardest . (it also seems to be even some of the monks I have seen when they are behind the wheel!).

#84 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

"Apparently what I had mistaken for humility had, all these years. prevented me from understanding what is in fact the humblest, the most childlike, the most creaturely of pleasures—nay, the specific pleasure of the inferior: the pleasure a beast before men, a child before its father, a pupil before his teacher, a creature before its Creator. I am not forgetting how horribly this most innocent desire is parodied in our human ambitions, or how very quickly, in my own experience, the lawful pleasure of praise from those whom it was my duty to please turns into the deadly poison of self-admiration. But I thought I could detect a moment—a very, very short moment—before this happened, during which the satisfaction of having pleased those whom I rightly loved and rightly feared was pure. And that is enough to raise our thoughts to what may happen when the redeemed soul, beyond all hope and nearly beyond belief, learns at last that she has pleased Him whom she was created to please. There will be no room for vanity then. She will be free from the miserable illusion that it is her doing. With no taint of what we should now call self-approval she will most innocently rejoice in the thing that God has made her to be, and the moment which heals her old inferiority complex for ever will also drown her pride deeper than Prospero’s book." C.S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users