• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Dear all,

I came across the following on the web:

Creatio Continua
Latin: 'Continuous Creation'

This is a concept within the Christian doctrine of creation, specifically within the Eastern Orthodox tradition and some Process Theologies. It refers to speaking of God’s action in relation to the world.

According to this idea, we are to envisage this not as a single act in past, but as a continuing presence here and now, hence it is legitimate to speak of a continuing creation. Historically, it is an approach located in the writings of Maximus, Hildegard of Bingen and Gregory Palamas. It is not a past event, but a present relationship, an initial act that constitutes a starting point. In spite of the different ways this phrase is put to use, it need not be seen as in opposition to the classical position of creatio ex nihilo.

Is this true? Do we hold this doctrine in common with process theology?

In Christ
Byron

#2 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I have heard Father Thomas Hopko talk about it in one of his podcasts, which one right now slips my mind. If I have confused him for someone else, I apologise in advance.

#3 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Dear all,

I came across the following on the web: Is this true? Do we hold this doctrine in common with process theology?

In Christ
Byron

I don't know "process theology" but it is my simple understanding that the Church does believe that creation is a continuous thing, that moment to moment, it is God's active will that causes Creation to exist. Without God's continous action, we would cease to exist.

If I have stated that incorrectly or poorly I look forward to correction.

Herman

#4 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

I may be incorrect but I think it was St Isaac the Syrian who said it or another saint said that God didn't literally rested on the 7th day other wise creation would cease. So there is a "continuous creation", having mentioned this I think it was Elder Cleopa that mentioned it in the series Ne Vorbeste Parintele Cleopa (This is slowly being translated into English).

#5 Byron Jack Gaist

Byron Jack Gaist

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

Dear all,

Thanks for your responses so far, which seem to confirm the doctrine. I would like to hear from someone who may be more certain, as well. But I wonder, the brief web quotation I gave, seems to suggest that the doctrine of continuous creation is in some way peculiar to Eastern Orthodoxy and process theology. Is this accurate? Isn't this a mainstream Christian teaching about creation, shared equally by the West?

In Christ
Byron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users