Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for November 2009 theme of the month

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you like to see as the Theme of the Month for November 2009? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see as the Theme of the Month for November 2009?

1. Friendship (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Fasting (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Anger and wrath (4 votes [20.00%])

4. Reading non-Christian books (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. The natural world (4 votes [20.00%])

Vote

#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Dear all,

While our current Theme of the Month thread is underway with some interesting posts and comments on the topic of 'humility', I wonder if we can ponder what theme we might take for November.

I've attached a poll to this thread, allowing everyone to 'vote' on a few topics that have been proposed to me by PM and e-mail; additional options can be discussed here in the thread itself.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#2 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

I would love to see quotes supplied about theoretical knowledge.

As has been written:

"In patristic usage, 'theoretical' is directly related to its root, 'theoria,' or theological vision. Theoretical knowledge is thus the true, purified knowledge of one who sees the genuine nature of things; it is the fruit of the highest ascetical condition. It is grounded in the concrete engagement with reality as-it-is; but by divine illumination and a purity of vision, sees the full reality of what lies before it, in its fullest dimensions."

#3 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

Another suggestion is "Tradition."

I have always remembered the post here on Monachos which contained the following:

"Tradition is a term that has suffered significant corruption, so perhaps we ought to just junk it."

#4 Owen

Owen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

As you must surely know by now, the Orthodox never junk anything. We do try to preserve it, or, if necessary, rectify and restore it. Tradition is a dirty word for Protestants and for anyone else who has not completely thrown off the Western mindset (as Khomiakov advised); ditto for works and several other terms I can't think of at the moment.

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

Dear Rick, those are good suggestions. Why don't we keep next month's options as those in the poll, and I'll include your suggestions (and others that may be suggested) in the listing of options for December?

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#6 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

Dear all,

Just as a reminder that this is the last week to cast your vote for next month's 'Theme of the Month'. If you've not already done so, do visit the poll at the top of this thread and let your preference be known.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users