Photo
- - - - -

The mystery of death: how is the soul separated from the body?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

S. David wrote:

Let us take this from another point of view: suppose one has suicided, we can not say that this act is the will of God, right? So, how to put all of those items in a common framework to understand exactly where is the will of God, and where is the law of (fallen) nature?

This is why, normally, suicide is such a serious sin.

Sin is destructive by its very nature. This is how it results in death which is the obvious decomposition of the creature.

But yet in Christ death has a remedial effect for instead of being simply destructive it becomes a humbling force against sin. Suicide however goes consciously against this possibility of a remedial relationship to death and instead accepts it for the brute destructive force that it is.

Where we see the will of God in this regard is where the destructiveness of death can be entered into by us as means of achieving life in Him. Note though that this goes not only for physical death but also for those many situations in life which call for a spiritual death to oneself- ie humility, patience, etc. This is why an ascetic life in Christ is a foreshadowing of our actual death or at least a training for it.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#22 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

Where we see the will of God in this regard is where the destructiveness of death can be entered into by us as means of achieving life in Him.

Bless father,

Thank you for your valuable comment.

In-Christ

#23 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

Dear all,

The separation of the soul from the body is the natural consequence of mortality (on the fact that, initially created, immortality is both ‘natural’ and ‘unnatural’ in the writings of the Fathers, see various discussions elsewhere in the Community), and the Fathers are fairly clear that, when one dies, this separation ‘naturally’ happens (as ‘unnatural’ to the true life of man as it may be)—or more accurately, it is because this happens that death takes place.

But it is also the common testimony of the fathers that it is accompanied by the presence of the spiritual powers, who ‘take’ the soul and accompany it on its journey.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#24 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

But it is also the common testimony of the fathers that it is accompanied by the presence of the spiritual powers, who ‘take’ the soul and accompany it on its journey.

Bless father,

What do you mean by "spiritual powers"?

I have a story to share: While my grandmother in the hospital, had her last breath, just before she died she said to whom surrounding her: "make a space, they come, they come". No one knew what she meant by "they". I don't know if this relate to the discussion, but I saw to mention it, because I read the "accompany" word.

In-Christ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users