42 replies to this topic

#41 Antonia Colias

Antonia Colias

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

When I was in the Antiochian jurisdiction, decades ago, I was told that I would be tonsured. Mercifully, the priest forgot, and it never happened ! I never read the Epistle, but I chanted every weekend at Vespers and Orthros. Perhaps the priest meant "a blessing"; however, he specifically used the word "tonsuring." I'm glad that he did not do this.

Nuns are a different story when it comes to the altar. Also, there is a difference between a woman being blessed to read, as is the case in many churches, and a woman being tonsured an actual Reader. I don't know of that happening in the OCA DOS, but there are many churches where women have been blessed to read at services.

Sbdn. Anthony

#42 Peter G.

Peter G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:00 AM

And another would be the elements of the Liturgy. For example, in the GOA parish I worshipped in, we did not say the Prayer for the Catechumens. Whereas, in the OCA parish I presenlty worship in, we do say it.

(Sorry I didn't think to add this to my previous post.)

That depends on the church you go to. I've been to GOA and they say the Catachumen and some don't.

#43 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

The greek churches except for monasteries tend to follow a shorter typicon. Revised in the 1800's in Constantinople to shorten the length of the services. In Greece and Instanbul where there is hardly no catechumens, they omitted this prayer, some churches which have many converts have reinstated this prayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users