#1 Paul Fowler

Paul Fowler

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

Earlier this year the representatives of all the Orthodox Churches met in Chambesy to discus the problem of the "Diaspora". This was at the request of the Heads of the Orthodox Churches who had met at the Phanar the previous year. The decision was made to divide the non-historic Orthodox world into twelve regions and for each area to set up its own Episcopal Assembly with a view to working towards each area having its own single jurisdiction as a move towards autocephaly.

France already has an Episcopal Assembly and the North & Central American area meet next Spring. There seems however precious little movement in the remaining ten areas, or am I missing something?

I notice also that South East Asia is not covered by any of the regions. Again have I missed something?

in XC

Paul

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

I notice also that South East Asia is not covered by any of the regions. Again have I missed something?

I don't think there are enough bishops for Southeast Asia to make an assembly. As far as I know, there is only the Hong Kong Metropolitanate, which is presently vacant. There is some overlap with MP (Chinese Orthodox Church) and ROCOR (Diocese Australia and New Zealand) but I don't think there's enough for an assembly.

#3 Andrei Laptev

Andrei Laptev

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

the recently formed Episcopal Assembly of Oceania had re-convened in October 2011
see here
andrei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users