#2 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have a question that didn't seem worth posting in a new thread, and which is vaguely related to this map.

I have a map of Greece during the Peloponnesian War, and it shows a city called Acanthus on the peninsula of Mt. Athos. It places the city roughly near Iviron or Stavronikita. Is anyone aware of ancient ruins on Mt. Athos?

#3 Vasilian

Vasilian

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I think that is not correct. I walked in these surroundings and I did not see any ancient ruins. And: monks don't like excavations. Akanthos (in Greek) is usually placed further north, near the Canal of Xerxesplace. Near by You find Stagira-Akanthos (Greek: Στάγιρα-Άκανθος) a former municipality in Chalkidiki, Northern Greece. Vasílis

#4 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Here is some info I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthus_(Greece)

Evidently Acanthus/Akanthos became known by the name Ierissos at some point in its history, and was rebuilt somewhat northwest of its original location after it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1932. Modern maps show Ierissos as being northwest of Ouranoupoli by about 15 miles. But it does appear to have been continually populated since antiquity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users