• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Evan LeDoux

Evan LeDoux

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hello Monachos (my first post). Could anyone find out what St. Maximus the Greek's Troparion and Kontakion are?

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Well, I found the troparion and kontakion - the page actually has the whole canon to Venerable Maximus the Greek - but, well ...

Тропарь, глас 8
Зарею Духа облистаем, витийствующих богомудренно сподобился еси разумения, неведением омраченная сердца человеков светом благочестия просвещая, пресветел явился еси Православия светильник, Максиме преподобне, отонудуже ревности ради Всевидящаго отечества чужд и странен, Российския страны был еси пресельник, страдания темниц и заточения от самодержавнаго претерпев, десницею Вышняго венчаешися и чудодействуеши преславная. И о нас ходатай буди непреложен, чтущих любовию святую память твою.

Кондак, глас 8-й
Богодухновенным Писанием и Богословия проповеданием неверствующих суемудрие обличил еси, всебогате, паче же, в Православии исправляя, на стезю истиннаго познания наставил еси, якоже свирель Богогласная, услаждая слышащих разумы, непрестанно веселиши, Максиме досточудне, сего ради молим Тя: моли Христа Бога грехов оставление низпослати верою поющим всесвятое твое успение, Максиме, отче наш.

So, I hope you know Russian (or know someone who does), because Google Translate does not help much:

Troparion, Tone 8
Dawn Spirit oblistaem, oratory bogomudrenno Thou art worthy to understanding, darkened by the ignorance of the human heart the light of piety enlighten, presvetel appeared Thou light of Orthodoxy, Maxim monk, otonuduzhe jealousy for the sake of the fatherland Vsevidyaschago alien and strange, Russia was a country Thou preselnik, suffering dungeons and seclusion from the samoderzhavnago undergone, the right hand of the Most High venchaeshisya chudodeystvueshi and full of glory. And about the applicant so be immutable, that thought upon the sacred memory of your love.

Kontakion, Tone 8 th
Inspired by Scripture and theology, preaching neverstvuyuschih suemudrie denounced Thou, vsebogate, even more so, in Orthodoxy correcting, on the road istinnago knowledge guided art Thou, yakozhe sackbut Bogoglasnaya, delighting hearers minds, constantly veselishi, Maxim dostochudne, this sake we beseech Thee: pray to Christ our God, the sins of abandonment nizposlati faith singing your all-holy asleep, Maxim, Our Father.

Sorry, I couldn't find any English translations online.

In Christ,
Michael

#3 Evan LeDoux

Evan LeDoux

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Well, I found the troparion and kontakion - the page actually has the whole canon to Venerable Maximus the Greek - but, well ...

So, I hope you know Russian (or know someone who does), because Google Translate does not help much:

Sorry, I couldn't find any English translations online.

In Christ,
Michael

Thank you very much. No, I do not know Russian, but this has been helpful. XD

#4 Evan LeDoux

Evan LeDoux

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

Thank you very much. No, I do not know Russian, but this has been helpful. XD

If there is anyone on Monochos who does know Russian, an English Translation would be deeply appriciated. Either way, Lord have Mercy +

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

If there is anyone on Monochos who does know Russian, an English Translation would be deeply appriciated. Either way, Lord have Mercy +

The liturgical language that we see in this tropar & kondak is Church Slavonic. An even greater challenge to translate than modern Russian! (beyond a few words I don't dare try it myself).

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

If members can be patient, my wife will translate.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

My wife has been looking at these texts today - she says they are all too typical of the elaborate, convoluted 'baroque' style of Church Slavonic in which the author seems too clever by half and intent on showing off. If texts like this are opaque for someone like my wife (PhD from Moscow State University's Historical Faculty), for whom are they written? Anyway, she is making some sense of them and I will post her offering as soon as possible.

#8 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

No need to retranslate - one need only look in the English Menaion:

Troparion Tone 8:
Made brilliant by the radiance of the Spirit, through divine wisdom thou wast vouchsafed the intelligence of the rhetors, enlightening with the light of piety the hearts of men, which were darkened by ignorance; and thou was shown to be a most splendid lamp of Orthodox, O venerable Maximus. Wherefore, having become a stranger and wanderer in thy zeal for Him Who seeth all things, thou was a sojourner in the land of Russia, suffering imprisonment and incarceration at the command of the sovereign; yet thou art crowned by the right hand of the Most High, and workest all-glorious miracles. Be thou also a true mediator for us who honor thy holy memory with love.

Kontakion Tone 8:
With divinely inspired writings and the preaching of theology didst thou denounce the vanity of the heretics, O thou who art most rich; and establishing them firmly in Orthodoxy, thou didst guide them to the path of true understanding. And like a divinely melodious harp thou didst delight and unceasingly gladden the minds of those who hearkened unto thee, O right wondrous Maximus. Wherefore, we beseech thee: Entreat Christ God, that He send down remission of sins upon those who with faith hymn thy most holy dormition o Maximus our father.

#9 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

All tribute due to whoever managed that! I wonder if the text really has 'was' instead of 'wast' (the former being ungrammatical in early modern English), and I'm not keen on the word 'rhetors'. Presumably, it should say 'Orthodoxy' or 'the Orthodox' in line two of the Troparion. I'll show this translation to my wife and see if she agrees with it.

The point about opaque and obscure language in the original remains.

#10 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

All tribute due to whoever managed that!

The translator is Br Isaac Lamberston and the English Menaion is published by St John of Kronstadt Press. In addition to the menaion, Br Isaac has translated the entire Octoechos, the Pentecostarion, and numerous akathists from the Church Slavonic into English. Most of his translation work is published, either by St John of Kronstadt Press or by Holy Trinity Monastery (Jordanville).

Fr David Moser

#11 Evan LeDoux

Evan LeDoux

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

No need to retranslate - one need only look in the English Menaion:

Troparion Tone 8:
Made brilliant by the radiance of the Spirit, through divine wisdom thou wast vouchsafed the intelligence of the rhetors, enlightening with the light of piety the hearts of men, which were darkened by ignorance; and thou was shown to be a most splendid lamp of Orthodox, O venerable Maximus. Wherefore, having become a stranger and wanderer in thy zeal for Him Who seeth all things, thou was a sojourner in the land of Russia, suffering imprisonment and incarceration at the command of the sovereign; yet thou art crowned by the right hand of the Most High, and workest all-glorious miracles. Be thou also a true mediator for us who honor thy holy memory with love.

Kontakion Tone 8:
With divinely inspired writings and the preaching of theology didst thou denounce the vanity of the heretics, O thou who art most rich; and establishing them firmly in Orthodoxy, thou didst guide them to the path of true understanding. And like a divinely melodious harp thou didst delight and unceasingly gladden the minds of those who hearkened unto thee, O right wondrous Maximus. Wherefore, we beseech thee: Entreat Christ God, that He send down remission of sins upon those who with faith hymn thy most holy dormition o Maximus our father.

Thank you Father, thank you Andreas (and your wife especially). God Grant many Years to Br. Isaac + XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users