#21 Jake A.

Jake A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:21 AM

Not having visited this thread I'd like to welcome Richard, Daniel, Matthew, Alexander, Marge, Gloria, Mick, Wayne, and all others who have posted, your stories are all very interesting to me, and I will pray for you that your journey through Orthodoxy will be a joyous one, as the Lord brings you closer to the Faith. Don't let anyone, or anything discourage you in your effort.

Romans 8:38-39.

#22 Mick Curran

Mick Curran

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Not having visited this thread I'd like to welcome Richard, Daniel, Matthew, Alexander, Marge, Gloria, Mick, Wayne, and all others who have posted, your stories are all very interesting to me, and I will pray for you that your journey through Orthodoxy will be a joyous one, as the Lord brings you closer to the Faith. Don't let anyone, or anything discourage you in your effort.

Romans 8:38-39.

Thank you very much, J.K. You are most gracious. :)

Convivially,
Mick

#23 Nigel Benson

Nigel Benson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hello,
by way of making a start, I'm Nigel John Benson. I was chrismated at St Botolphs in Bishopsgate and as well as visiting that parish regularly, I am involved with the Orthodox Community of the Holy Trinity in Guildford which has recently been set up. I am not in any dispute with any Orthodox diocese and I feel that Orthodoxy is "not about dioceses". I sing bass when siinging music of Russian tradition and am also interested in the Byzantine musical tradition and I am trying to learn about Byzantine music from the late David Melling's volumes on the subject. Another area I am interested in is how the Orthodox Church relates to issues the general topics described a pro life. I hope that's not too long.

#24 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

It makes me so happy to see new people here! Thanks for introducing yourselves, and sharing your stories. Looking forward to getting to know you more, and learning wonderful new things like "chuffed"! That is such a cool word! Thankyou! =)

in Christ,
Mary

#25 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am a tonsured Reader at St. Herman of Alaska parish in California, part of ROCOR. I live with my wife Constantina and my son Joachim (5 months old) here in the Bay Area. I'm currently in school finishing up my degree in computer science.

#26 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am a tonsured Reader at St. Herman of Alaska parish in California, part of ROCOR. I live with my wife Constantina and my son Joachim (5 months old) here in the Bay Area. I'm currently in school finishing up my degree in computer science.

Great to see you here Andrew! How is the pastoral school going? This forum will be great resource for you along the way.

Fr David Moser

#27 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

Great to see you here Andrew! How is the pastoral school going? This forum will be great resource for you along the way.

Fr David Moser

It's going very good, just finishing up the papers that are due at the end! In fact, I've been using this site very much, especially on exegesis for the Gospels.

#28 Maxim Molnar

Maxim Molnar

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hello to you all,

My name is Adam Maxim Molnar, I am from and currently live in Budapest, Hungary. I am of Ukrainian/Polish descent from my mother's side and Hungarian from my father's. I have been baptized into the Calvinist Church at infancy by request of my fatherly grandparents, but no one actually took care of giving me a religious education whatsoever. The only times I have visited a church and can remember it from the years of my youth is the few occasions my grandmother (Orthodox Christian as my mother also) - вечная память - took me in Kiev (in the Ukraine) to the Pechersk Lavra to attend services.

On this point I thought of writing a lengthy introduction and revealing all aspects of my thoughts and life before my conversion - a true metanoia after years of stupidity and aggressiveness towards Christianity. After writing long lines I decided not to post it and just share a few words at this point. When the time will be appropriate maybe I will write them all down. It is enough to say that I arrived to the baptismal font in the small chapel of the Hungarian Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Budapest through years of atheism, paganism, Buddhism, Perennial philosophy and years of listening to heavy metal music and polluting my physical being and my soul in all possible ways. After a year spent as a catechumen I have been received into the Church last Sunday through traditional Baptism and Chrismation. I have died and have been resurrected in Christ and have left all my previous sins and mis-beliefs behind. Looking back at it all I have the sense of being guided by our Lord's everlasting love though I have tried to hide from it all these years and have deviated so much that I will have to repent for the rest of my life. I ask for the prayers of Saint Maximos the Confessor - who my spiritual father and godfather have chosen as my patron saint - to stand firmly in the One Holy Apostolic Faith against all temptations from the world and the life I have left behind.

I have had a fiancé for 3 years now, who is the most beautiful girl I have ever had the chance to meet. In my raging stupidity I have caused great pains to her and our relationship, but we have endured and on the 15th of November last year the Good Lord has blessed us with a child, a boy, who is the light of our life. We have named him Victor in hope that he will endure all pains that he might be submitted by this world. Things are quite difficult at the moment for us: Victor and his mom have moved in with her parents in another town and I have stayed in Budapest to work and sustain our new family, although we also receive a great deal of help from our parents and my parish. So I cannot be with them too much, only on weekends. My fiancé is a Catholic and although she does not practice her faith, I hope to tempt her into Orthodoxy and marriage through a living example of a new life in Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, in repentance and crucifixion of the passions.

Excuse me for being so lengthy and have simply thrown my thoughts here in an unarranged manner. I am glad to expand on any questions that you have or are interested in. I did not have any intention to scandalize you in any way with my account, should I have committed this, do pardon me, a sinner.

I ask for your prayers and I hope to be greatly edified much by this community.

Yours in Christ,

Maxim Molnar

#29 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Welcome, Maxim. Thank you for the introduction. We look forward to hearing from you.

With prayers in Christ, Dn. Patrick

#30 Michalis

Michalis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

hello...... i am michalis from Greece -from the north thessaloniki- and new here...i am 38 and work as a waiter in a hotel. i want to send my regards to all orthodox Christians of this site. i became a member becasue i like to meet orthodox people from all over the world.. have a happy and blessed new year

#31 IoanC

IoanC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

My name is Ioan (in Romanian), which is John in English. I am 26 years old. I was born in Ploiesti, Rom. At the age of 16 I moved to Canada with part of my family. I've lived in the Vancouver, BC area for almost 10 years; eventually I became a Canadian citizen, as well--many thanks to the Canadian people! Just over a year ago I decided to come back to Romania. Right now I live in town of my birth.

I was baptized Orthodox as an infant. However, my actual (conscious) walk with God started much later in my life. As a result, I have searched in many places for God. This includes meditation, new age, even Islam and Judaism, but eventually I made a choice to be a Christian. At this point, I was still confused. I was content with a protestant view of religion and was continuing my life much in the same way that I had been; ie. still finding justifications for most of my sins. Eventually, The Lord pulled me closer to Him, and I realized that I had to make a decision based on "Why do you call me Lord, yet do not do what I tell you?". This helped me see the hypocritical state that I was in. I can't seem to remember how it happened, but soon after I made a decision to purify my life, The Lord helped realize that I was born Orthodox. After researching Orthodoxy a little bit (at the point it was just another denomination to me) I found myself suddenly at home. So, I am rather new to Orthodoxy, but I feel that I have progressed very fast and at the same time I know and practice very little. The situation of one's soul is something else and calling oneself Orthodox does not necessarily make certain problems go away. So, yes, I need lots of help. And if I may ask for your warm prayers, too! Blessed be the Name of the Lord, Virgin Mary and All Saints!

#32 John Bundstein

John Bundstein

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hello, my name is John Bundstein. I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have come to the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia about three years ago and was recieved just about a year ago. I am 64 years old. I have a wife and thirteen year old daughter who have not yet followed me into the Faith. And right now we are going through a rough time so to find more out side of my parish is a blessing.

#33 Lori Denning

Lori Denning

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hi,
I'm Lori Denning, a lifelong "Mormon" (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), single and in my 30s. I served a mission teaching the Gospel for a couple of years in Barcelona, Spain. I am also a research assistant for Dr. Alonzo Gaskill of Brigham Young University. As such, I am a long time student of theology, ancient studies and orthodoxy. I realize that I may be the only Mormon on the board, but hopefully that won't engender any prejudices. I'm working on a book on typology and symbology and specifically looking at Early Christian Liturgy. So, here I am! I have enjoyed "lurking" on the board and have recently joined the community.

#34 Ivan Marinov

Ivan Marinov

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi, all! My name is Ivan N. Marinov, 42 years old. I am a former Mormon converted to Orthodoxy in 1996. I am of Bulgarian ancestry. I registrated to this forum, because I have a few question about Church history. I have a special interest in relations between EO, OO and ACE.

#35 Fr. David C.

Fr. David C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

God's Blessings to everyone out there!--I am Father David (Cavalli), an Orthodox Anglican priest who lives on a small island (Topsail) off the east coast of North Carolina. I'm so glad I found this site and forum. I first really began to study Eastern Orthodoxy after reading some excerpts of the writings by Father Seraphim Rose. Soon after I came in contact with St.Herman's Press,The Orthodox Word magazine,Fr.Seraphim's (Rose) bio and Ancient Faith Radio. I have also read Orthodox Dogmatic Theology. Frankly,I am for the lack of a better word,stunned, by the whole scope of what Eastern Orthodoxy is and comprises. I am seeking His direction as to what to do with what I have learned and am learning as it relates to the fact that I was ordained an Orthodox Anglican priest.

#36 Luke C.

Luke C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

Hi, my name is Luke. I was raised "Evangelical Fundamental," and when I first met an Orthodox Christian (in boot camp) I was so utterly ignorant of Orthodoxy that I didn't even have a frame of reference from which to ask questions. I spent the next few years virtually ignoring God before embracing Evangelical (but not Fundamentalist) Christianity. In college, I encountered Orthodoxy again through Gary, The Willard Preacher. I wasn't attracted to Orthodoxy at the time, but I did get an Orthodox Study NT, and one of my friends converted. Several years later, I became actively involved in debating theology with some Orthodox Christians at TheologyWeb, where my objections to Orthodoxy were resolved one by one. I had no intention of converting, but God had other plans. I was received into Orthodoxy in September 2008. I'm now Herman Blaydoe's understudy at cantor.

#37 Fr. David C.

Fr. David C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

God's Blessings to everyone! I am Father David, an Orthodox Anglican priest. I have been profoundly effected and inspired by the writings of Father Seraphim Rose.Since I first became aware of him, I have read his biography by Hieromonk Damascene and then read Orthodox Dogmatic Theology as well as other works by the Eastern Orthodox saints. This site and forum is a wealth of information and inspiration,I'm so glad I came across it.

#38 Alkateb

Alkateb

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hwllo, O am a coptic orthodox from birth and now I am 55 nearly and enjoyed a living relationship with the LORD in this domination. I feel the most important point as St.Peter said to Corneilius in Acts to inroduce him to Christianity is this ONE to believe in the LORD existence and accept him as a LORD, to fear him through all your actions and seek him at all times. More important than which domination you are going to follow is HOW you live after you know him. From my experience the orthodoxy is my suitable way but I hope you build your opinion on your feelings. It should be on how you progress in developing your relationship. Trough orthodoxy you will practice the sacraments to the full from baptism and holy communion to anoitment with oil. Through your God father you will have a personal tutor to supervise your progress and guide you through difficult times. Never to have an old Grandfather figure who forgives everything but a serious father who can forgive anything but he takes sin seriously to the extent he prefers me and you dead rather than sinners. It seems he is planning for a big family. He did the servants already (Angels) but now making the family of saints to join his son as brothers are we in ???? his mercy will give to those he selects of those who obey.

Kamel Alkateb

#39 Guest_Mary0414

Guest_Mary0414
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

Hello. My name is Mary. I was brought into the Church on Holy Saturday 2001, in an OCA parish in the Dallas, TX area. I've taken part in several different Orthodox discussion lists, which I have found very helpful, as no one else in my family (husband, sons, extended family) is Orthodox. I've "met" some of you on different forums over the years - the Orthodox Convert yahoo group, The Ancient Way on Christian Forums, etc. Nice to "see" you again, and I'm looking forward to meeting new friends. I'm not a debater, and probably won't post much, but I like to read and learn.

#40 Pelagia

Pelagia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Hello,
I'am Pella . I was baptized as an orthodox , however at the age of 27 I was converted to pentecost where I spent almost 18 years. It was the last four years that I decided to return to orthodoxy and find out more about patristic life and martydrom. I'am only too glad to know that there are many other people who have been searching for meaning and truth in a way that can transform our inner life , whithout denying that pain and suffering is part of our spiritual growht, especially when they are unavoidable .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users