#42 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

....you mean like 'orrible!

:) I do not know how to spell Bridish... Although I speak three languages: American, Canadian and Bridish. And I am working towards the Aussie one. :) This is not my joke! I thank my ever-funny friend for sharing it with me. Did I spell Bridish right? Or should it be Briddish?

#43 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

:) I do not know how to spell Bridish... Although I speak three languages: American, Canadian and Bridish. And I am working towards the Aussie one. :) This is not my joke! I thank my ever-funny friend for sharing it with me. Did I spell Bridish right? Or should it be Briddish?

Nina to learn Aussie you say "Good day mate!" and then your a true blue aussie!:)

Angela (and look I quoted!)

#44 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hmm, I was always told it was "G'day Mite!"

No worries!

#45 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

Nina to learn Aussie you say "Good day mate!" and then your a true blue aussie!:)

Angela (and look I quoted!)

Giggles... Good day mate Angela! Did I get it right? :) What does 'true blue aussie' mean, please?

#46 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

Gooday mates, Herman & Nina!

Yes Nina you got it right! You must be Australian and you probably put some shrimps on the barbe and wear thongs too!:) (I think you call thongs, flip flops)True Blue Aussie is like an expression that means a true aussie (australian).

Herman, if you say gooday mite they might think your after vegemite:).

#47 James Blackstock

James Blackstock

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Yes Nina you got it right! You must be Australian and you probably put some shrimps on the barbe and wear thongs too!:) (I think you call thongs, flip flops)True Blue Aussie is like an expression that means a true aussie (australian).

Ya kno' mates, Vegemite aint bad!

#48 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Yes Nina you got it right! You must be Australian and you probably put some shrimps on the barbe and wear thongs too!:) (I think you call thongs, flip flops)

You had me gasp here... in America one of the words you mention refers to something else. But since I know you, I knew there might be an explanation. Oh you made me laugh and stopped my breathing some moments. I guess it is like the words pants here and trousers in England. This is so funny!!!

True Blue Aussie is like an expression that means a true aussie (australian).

Thank you for telling me. I thought the blue thingy referred to blue blood, or something like this. The whole continent royal (?) I thought.

I think I have heard what Herman says in movies here. But what is vegemite???????????? Are those insects (mite) of veggies?

Wow! It is so much fun to learn Aussie. :)
I see James and Herman are fluent in it.

#49 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:39 AM

Dearest Nina,

You made me smile:), but vegemite is a very popular spread here in Aussie land. It has yeast and very salty and it's black. You spread it on sparingly as it's quite salty. It's healthy as it is good for your body.

We say things differently here. Its like we say jam and you say jelly.

Angela

#50 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:42 AM

We say things differently here. Its like we say jam and you say jelly.

Angela

One of the most confusing for my wife was "jumper" - which Aussies say when they mean "jacket" in American and what Americans say when they mean "pinafore" in Aussie.

Fr David

#51 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

Yes Father Moser you are right. Isn't it funny how all Americans and Australian say things differently even though it's the same thing.

Angela

#52 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, but no need to take it out of the country. Here in Texas, we say things ya'll might not understand up North either like...(with thick accent)

Person 1: G'eet?---------------- Did you eat?
Person 2: naw, yu unt ta?--------No, you want to?
Person 1: aw'ight.----------------Alright.

Can I axe you a question?
You fixin' to do someing?

I'd be interested to know what the ingredients are in the vegemite sandwich are since they made the song about it and all.

Its like we say jam and you say jelly

skillet V frying pan
soda V pop
rubbers V boots
pecan V pecan
tomato V tomato
chevy V ford
you get the idea

Paul

#53 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:44 AM

Paul,

The ingredients are yeast extract, salt, mineral salt, malt extract(from barley) and of course perservative. It is a rich source of niacine, thiamine, riboflavine, and folate.

It is proudly made in Australia sine 1923 by Kraft. Full of vitamin B.

Now of course I had to go into our pantry to look this up and after all this talk, felt like some vegemite!

Actually, my husband put me on to this stuff and havn't looked back after all these years and were happy little vegemites (as the song goes!:))

Angela

#54 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:52 AM

Thank you Angela,

And this one is for you Mike.

Here is the History of Vegemite.

#55 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

Isn't that a kind of Marmite?

#56 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, but no need to take it out of the country. Here in Texas, we say things ya'll might not understand up North either like...(with thick accent)

Interesting. I will refer my linguistics students to you.

You might like to try the North East of Scotland sometime. :)

#57 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

Paul is right, at least according to me (my experiences).

When I went with friends to watch the movie "O Brother where art thou?" in the movie theater I could not understand much. I know that I do not know English, but I felt like there was another language spoken in that movie and I felt such an ignorant that I could not tell what was going on :o. Afterwards I had to rent it and watch it with subtitles in order to understand. :)

But even the two cities where I live(d) are so different in accent and these are about 7-8 hours away by car, or 1 hour flight and both are considered as part of the northeast US.

I find many examples from what Paul said, in the city I live now (although as I said it is considered north) like "can I aks you?" Giggles... and at first when I heard it I thought either the person is joking (asking to ax me, to hit me with an ax although he had no ax in hand), or I thought this might be a word, or expression I did not know. Also the "u" is very prolonged here and made like another sound that I can not type. They stretch the u in words like "bug" here. At first I could not understand these very simple words like bug, just because of the pronunciation. These are all new to me compared to the city more north where I lived before. Although I try always to keep my own accent and not adopt these. But of course more north :) I had to learn what the "khakis" (car keys) were and how to say "Go Red Sox!" although I am not a sport's fan. By the way "Go Red Sox!"

#58 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:43 AM

In some parts of The Old Dart, it's Bri-ish.:D:D

#59 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

What does 'true blue aussie' mean, please?

Translation: True Blue = genuine, real, authentic.
Aussie (pronounced ozzie) = short for Australian.

Aussies are notorious for shortening just about every word and name in existence, such as vegies for vegetables, brekky for breakfast, footy for football, etc. One of my favourites is littlie, meaning child.

#60 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hmm, I was always told it was "G'day Mite!"

... or "G'day maaate!" :D Depends what part of the country you come from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users