85 replies to this topic

#81 Rob Bergen

Rob Bergen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

It was supposed to be a funny story guys! Relax!

#82 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I was searching Google about if God causes disasters in response to Sandy hurricane, and I found this thread, which I read to a large extend. I would like to add something (and hopefully this was not mentioned in the posts that I did not read for lack of time and the large number of posts): I understand that our World is a fallen World, and these disasters are results of the fallen World which caused by our sins. I also understand that Christ has come to restore the original harmony. But what I do not understand is: what is the direct relationship between disasters and God (if any)? I mean, every natural phenomenon has a scientific explanation, as in earthquakes there are moving plates, and in hurricanes there is pressure temperature and other factors cause it to happen. What is exactly that God do in this logical sequence of events that lead to a disaster?

#83 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

I don't think it's safe to speculate on direct causality where such has not been revealed. The world is fallen, all creation reacts to man's sin, and this is a mystery, a mystery into which God entered when He became man.

#84 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

I mean we can explain any earthquake, for example, based on the physics of the fallen World, right?

#85 Jack R.

Jack R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

What was happening outside the Garden of Eden that was different than inside it?

Adam was created outside of Eden and brought into Eden where all was Paradise.

Were there natural processes, including death and predation of animals outside Eden?

#86 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Today, we have been educated to believe that all questions are worthy of answers, but that, to me, is not a traditional Orthodox concept. God certainly does not answer all our questions that we ask him. I think mysteries are mysteries for a reason, that our knowledge of the answers would not do us good. There is knowledge that is just beyond us and we need to learn how to work within the bounds of our ignorance as limited, finite, sinful human beings to whom God has not seen fit to reveal all things. Rather, it behooves us to ask, "What can I do today out of love for Christ?" The answer to this doesn't require advanced theoretical knowlege. Indeed, even those with mental impairments love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users