Photo
- - - - -

St. Isaac the Syrian, a Nestorian saint?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 S. Rey

S. Rey

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:05 AM

Dear all,

I would like to know if anyone had trustworthy biographical information regarding the orthodox beliefs of St. Isaac the Syrian. The Wikipedia entry on his name mentions that his affiliation was "perhaps Nestorian Christianity." Is this correct or simply speculation? If this is indeed the case, is it possible that an heterodox (monophysite in this instance) be considered a saint, even considering the--real--depth of his mystical thought?

Edited by S. Rey, 14 February 2010 - 07:07 AM.
insert hyperlink

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Before we go over this again I suggest you read through this thread: The significance of Isaac of Syria (of Nineveh)

and perhaps this one: Syriac Christology and St Isaac of Nineveh.

This one might also prove useful: St Isaac, a Nestorian?

And as a general discussion of his writings, you might want to read this: St Isaac of Syria, vol. II

If these threads have not fully addressed your questions, then by all means let's discuss it.

Herman the searching Pooh

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 14 February 2010 - 01:35 PM.
Hit "Send" too soon

#3 S. Rey

S. Rey

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Herman the helping Pooh, this has helped a lot. I apologize though to ask a question that has already been asked. Anyway, I will be sure to ask if I have more questions.

#4 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

The introduction of St Isaac's Homilies in ENglish has a history of the Persian church and the saints and it explains clearly why they are not Nestorian.

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

On this issue, I also strongly recommend readingThe Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian by (now Metropolitan) Hilarion Alfayev. He addresses the question of whether St Isaac was a nestorian quite directly and effectively.

Fr David Moser

#6 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

In light of a recent multi-part examination of this very topic, including Metropolitan Hilarion's thoughts on the matter, I have begun a new separate topic which features the links to the in-depth look at the matter:

http://www.monachos....isattributions/

Some of the referenced links in this thread are no longer valid URLs, so I would be grateful if anyone would like to cross reference some of the extant Monachos posts to the new thread if deemed beneficial. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users