Photo
- - - - -

Coincidences in Saint Ephrem the Syrian about judgment day?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Menchu

David Menchu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hello, with respect!
Can someone help me? I have here a paragraph,in romanian, from "Saint Ephrem the Syrian, words and teaching" and I want to know if any other Holy Father expressed the same idea about the Judgment's Day. The text says (in my poor translation from romanian):
"In that day will be asked from each one of keeping the right faith, pure among the heretics , the same (faith) which was confessend before for many other ones, saying, 'I renounce to Satan and all his things. Not just to one thing or two, but to all the diavolic things'. Therefore, this good renounce will be asked to us in that moment. And happy will be that one who kept it as promised".

I will be very grateful if someone can give me "a hand".

May God bless!

#2 Daniel Monroe

Daniel Monroe

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hello, with respect!
Can someone help me? I have here a paragraph,in romanian, from "Saint Ephrem the Syrian, words and teaching" and I want to know if any other Holy Father expressed the same idea about the Judgment's Day. The text says (in my poor translation from romanian):
"In that day will be asked from each one of keeping the right faith, pure among the heretics , the same (faith) which was confessend before for many other ones, saying, 'I renounce to Satan and all his things. Not just to one thing or two, but to all the diavolic things'. Therefore, this good renounce will be asked to us in that moment. And happy will be that one who kept it as promised".

I will be very grateful if someone can give me "a hand".

May God bless!

In which text does St. Ephraim say this?

#3 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

In Rev. Alban Butler's Lives of the Saints, he excerpts a sermon of St. Ephrem on the Second Coming of Christ, and a section of that sermon looks almost identical to the one David mentioned. The sermon is in paragraph 23 in the linked document; here is the quote from it:

"Then, beloved of Christ, shall be required in all Christians the seal of baptism, entire faith, and that beautiful renunciation which they made before witnesses, saying, I renounce Satan, and all his works; not one, or two, or five, but all the works of the devil. In that hour this renunciation will be demanded of us, and happy is he who shall have kept it faithfully as he promised."

According to Rev. Alban, this sermon is included in the second volume of the Vatican edition of the works of St. Ephrem. BTW, his Lives of the Saints was published in 1866.

In Christ,
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users