6 replies to this topic

#1 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

So it seems that everywhere I go, she's present. I know that sounds weird, but as my wife and I begin our inquiries into Orthodoxy, her icon or her name seem to show up. It's kind of creepy, but also very exciting. My wife's name is Emily, and it strikes me that this godly wife and mother are looking out for us and helping us along the way. Anyone else have similar situations of a particular saint showing up in odd places or "following" them?

#2 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

OMG! That's so amazing! She is interceding for you to God, definitely! As you will be more in Orthodoxy, you will see many more Saints attracting your attention. :) You will have many of them that you can relate to. It is like with a family :) you are related to many, and some have such a special place in your heart. But can you imagine? These are all saints :) and are near God.

Holy Saint of God Emily continue to pray to God for this wonderful family and us all.

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

P.S We had Saint Nicholas' name, or icon follow us when we went away during the time our son Nicholas was supposed to be born. We saw St. Nicholas' (Orthodox) icon in the most unexpected place. :) And we cried. It was like he was watching over and out for us during those days that we were dealing with the most painful event of our lives.

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

St Emilia is the mother of St Basil the Great. She was the daughter of a martyr under the pre-Constantinians, and married her husband (also called Basil) and lived together with their family in Pontus. They became known for their piety, longsuffering and deep spirituality.

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

I had cause some years ago to research the life of Venerable Emilia. Here is an account of her life which I compiled:

St Emilia of Cappadocia

Commemorated on January 1/14 and on May 8/21

St Emilia was the daughter of a martyr. Her mother was Macrina, later glorified as St Macrina the Elder. Macrina the Elder was known for her great sense of justice and the faith with which she and her husband endured their sufferings during the persecutions under the Roman emperors Galerius and Diocletian. Macrina and her husband founded the faith of the family and passed it on as a splendid treasure to her children and grandchildren. That faith was born of suffering and persecution. Through it they succeeded in raising one of the most saintly families in Cappadocia and, perhaps, in Christendom.

Emilia was married to Basil, later glorified as St Basil the Elder. Emilia bore ten children ­ five sons (one died in his youth) and five daughters. Of them, five were subsequently numbered among the choir of the saints: Basil the Great, Macrina the Younger, Gregory, subsequently bishop of Nyssa, Peter, at first a simple ascetic and afterwards bishop of Sebaste, and the righteous Theosebia, a deaconess.

Emilia took great care in her children's upbringing. In teaching them to read, she used the Holy Scriptures as a primer, choosing passages that the children could understand. Thereby they became familiar from an early age with the inspiring psalms of King David, and the wise teachings of Solomon and Sirach. So too they became accustomed to look to the word of God for guidance, to seek there counsel and instruction, and to find there consolation and joy.

Emilia's husband died just when her youngest son, Peter, was born. In addition to the large household, the family also owned several properties, and Emilia was grateful for Macrina's able assistance in shouldering these new responsibilities. Macrina would often work side by side with the maidservants, and by her conduct encouraged her mother to likewise regard these servants as sisters.

Emilia, who had so carefully nurtured her daughter in Christian virtues, now became her pupil in the spiritual life. When her son Naucratius suddenly died at the age of twenty-seven, she would have grieved inconsolably had not Macrina reminded her that it is not proper for a Christian to mourn “as do those who have no hope.” With her steadfast spirit and words of consolation, Macrina greatly relieved her mother's suffering, and they both endured their loss with courageous hearts.

Wishing to be wholly devoted to God, Macrina became increasingly detached from the world, and after her brothers had left home and her sisters were married, she persuaded her mother to enter with her on the monastic path.
Emilia divided the family property among her children and freed her slaves. She and Macrina, retaining only some meagre possessions, then withdrew to a secluded family property in Pontus, picturesquely located on the banks of the Iris River and not far from Basil's wilderness abode. A number of liberated female slaves were moved to join the holy pair, and a convent was formed.

They all lived under one roof, and held everything in common: they ate together, worked together, and prayed together, serving the Lord in oneness of mind. So keen were they to advance in virtue that they regarded fasting as food and poverty as riches. Neither anger, nor jealousy, nor hatred, nor pride spoiled the harmony of this model community of women. Indeed, apart from their physical bodies, there was little that separated them from the life of the angels.

Living in this manner for many years, Emilia reached old age, and when an illness signalled the time of her departure from this world, her son Peter came and, together with Macrina, attended to his mother in her last days. As the oldest and the youngest of her children, Macrina and Peter held a special place in Emilia's heart.

Before committing her soul to the Lord, she raised her voice to heaven, saying: “To You, O Lord, I give the first-fruits and the tithe of the fruit of my womb: the first fruit is my first-born daughter; and the tithe is this, my youngest son. Let these be an acceptable sacrifice for You, and let Your holiness descend upon them!”

Emilia was buried as she had requested, with her husband in the chapel of their estate in Annesi, where her son Naucratius had also been laid to rest.

St Emilia reposed in the year 375.

Troparion

Tone 8:
That which was created in the image of God
Was preserved in you, O Mother;
For taking up the cross you followed after Christ.
By your deeds you have taught us to reject the flesh, for it passes away,
But to care for the soul as a thing immortal.
Therefore, O venerable Emilia, your soul rejoices with the angels.

Kontakion

Tone 2:
Because of love for the Lord, O venerable Emilia,
You came to despise the desire for comfort,
You illumined your soul with fasting,
And with strength you prevailed over wild beasts:
Therefore through your prayers overturn the insolence of those who oppose us.

#6 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

Olga,
Thank you so much for the life of St. Emilia. I knew she was the wife of Basil the Elder and the mother of a number of saints, including St. Basil the Great. I am struck by her icon Shown here and the inscription on the scroll. I'm such a fan. I hope to get to know her better in the years to come.

#7 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Dear Caleb,

It seems that St. Emilia is making her presence known for the sake of your wife who is named after her...so that she can know that she has her as a guardian and patron saint who can intercede for her prayers.

Yes, many times, even when we are ignoring a patron saint who one is named after, the saint can make their presence known so that you can know to pray to them. This happened to me in a dream for my son, and it was my favorite saint, Nektarios, who led me to visit a particular icon of my son's patron saint in the dream!!

I have a couple of other such instances with my family's saints (one even made her presence known to my mother for the sake of my daughter, despite her being my daughter's third baptismal name and the one I usually ignore!)

I never really knew how much these saints whose names we have are there for us! Infact, I never even knew my baptismal name's saint's feast day, despite being a cradle Orthodox (Greek Orthodoxy was somewhat watered down and protestantized in the U.S. decades ago when I was a child)..can you imagine?!? :-(

In Christ,
Alice

P.S. When I first read your subject title of 'Being *stalked', I thought: what?!? Usually, the word 'stalked' is a negative thing, but in this case, I would say "WOW, what a blessing to have this saint visit from *heaven*!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users