11 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Elizabeth

Robin Elizabeth

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi. I am looking for online sources for the early monastic rules. I've found Benedict, but the others are giving me trouble. There is an old post here with links to the library for the rules of Pachomius and Basil, but the links are broken. Are those documents still available here (or somewhere else online)? Thanks

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hi. I am looking for online sources for the early monastic rules. I've found Benedict, but the others are giving me trouble. There is an old post here with links to the library for the rules of Pachomius and Basil, but the links are broken. Are those documents still available here (or somewhere else online)? Thanks

Well, first, the Rule of St. Pachomius isn't really a monastic rule, but a prayer rule. Here's a link to an online translation.

At least one site I found says the English translation of the Rule of St. Basil is copyrighted, which may be why you can't find it online. It's in the Asketikon, which unfortunately is rather expensive (just under $200 on Amazon). A Google Books preview exists, but I'm not sure how much will be viewable.

That's English. If you can read Latin, the rule can be downloaded at Documenta Catholica Omnia. They also have the Greek version as well. (I hope those are right - my Greek is barely OK for translating, not reading, and my Latin almost non-existent)

I know there is also the Rule of St. Anthony, though I can't find an online copy of it either; I don't know what other monastic rules might exist beyond those, though the Documenta Catholica Omnia pages for Migne's Patrologia Graeca and Patrologia Latina have a fair number of listings with names like "Regula ad Monachos" or "Regula Monachorum".

In Christ,
Michael

#3 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:29 AM

Quick addendum - I'm fairly certain that I found the rule of St. Basil online at one time (not here on Monachos, this was before I joined), but I can't find it now.

#4 Robin Elizabeth

Robin Elizabeth

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

Thanks so much for the info. My Latin is iffy, but it's something I've been planning on pursuing for awhile so maybe this will be the push I need.

It's frustrating that the rule of St Benedict is available all over the place, but that the rules of St Basil can only be had in dead languages or a 200 dollar book. I've been told many times that the rule of St Basil is the basis for all Orthodox Monasticism, but no one seems to have a copy of it. Strange.

#5 Durgananda Swami

Durgananda Swami

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks so much for the info. My Latin is iffy, but it's something I've been planning on pursuing for awhile so maybe this will be the push I need.

It's frustrating that the rule of St Benedict is available all over the place, but that the rules of St Basil can only be had in dead languages or a 200 dollar book. I've been told many times that the rule of St Basil is the basis for all Orthodox Monasticism, but no one seems to have a copy of it. Strange.

If you find the Rule of St. Basil (in English), please let me know the source. Thank you in the name of Christ.
--Durgananda, Kolkata, India durganandaswami@gmail.com

#6 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Here's an English translation of St. Basil's "Ascetic Works" in PDF format, all 550 pages of it.
http://www.scribd.co...Ascetical-works
I'm guessing it's public domain, because it's an early 1960's translation. If someone has a problem with copyright issues, I'll remove it immediately.

#7 Durgananda Swami

Durgananda Swami

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

I am trying to procure the Rule of St. Basil. I have been advised to download it from:
When I tried to download, apparently, it is asking for money in US dollars, which I have difficulty in paying on-line.
Probably the oldest Rule, and assuredly the predecessor of other important Rules, about 1500 years old, asking for money is strange.

--durganandaswami@gmail.com

#8 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Well, first, the Rule of St. Pachomius isn't really a monastic rule, but a prayer rule.

Addendum - I just found out that I was quite incorrect when I said this. While there is a prayer rule called the rule of St. Pachomius, he also created a monastic rule, which can be found online at the Patristics in English Project.

#9 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Also, the 1950 Catholic University Press edition of St. Basil's Ascetical Works (which contains the "long rules") can be found at some online bookstores for considerably less than the $200 the 2005 Oxford edition was selling for. Amazon Marketplace has paperback reprints starting at just under $45, and I saw a used copy of the 1950 hardcover for $25 at Alibris.com (not sure if you can get international shipping though).

#10 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

I am trying to procure the Rule of St. Basil. I have been advised to download it from:
When I tried to download, apparently, it is asking for money in US dollars, which I have difficulty in paying on-line.
Probably the oldest Rule, and assuredly the predecessor of other important Rules, about 1500 years old, asking for money is strange.

--durganandaswami@gmail.com

I didn't realize it was asking for money. It didn't ask me for money. Alternatively many times you can just upload a document to them, and then it let's you download without paying. It doesn't have to be a good document, just make a text file with "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me", name it prayer.txt, and upload it.

Anyway, I'll try to send you the document.

#11 Durgananda Swami

Durgananda Swami

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Dear brothers/sisters in Christ,
I did upload after the prompt asked me to upload something, off course. I uploaded (the text of) fine translation of Pater Noster in Sanskrit language, that we sing in such a melodious, and heart-rending tune. After uploading, it would go nowhere, try hard as you may. The Rule of St. Basil, no see.
Thank you.
Durgananda Swami

#12 Durgananda Swami

Durgananda Swami

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

I finally downloaded the “Saint Basil: Ascetical Works” from the rapidshare.com in file 39117668-St-Basil-the-Great-Ascetical-works.pdf.
With thanks to all and prayers to the Lord for grace,
Durgananda Swami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users