#1 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

I've just gone back to one of my recent posts to correct a "typo" but to my dismay, the edit possibility has disappeared! I wonder why? Is it only for me, or are others also experiencing this discrepancy or modification of "editing" one's posts?
Thank you
marie-duquette

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

I've just gone back to one of my recent posts to correct a "typo" but to my dismay, the edit possibility has disappeared! I wonder why? Is it only for me, or are others also experiencing this discrepancy or modification of "editing" one's posts?
Thank you
marie-duquette

IIRC, there is a 5 minute window in which you can make corrects to a post. If there is a big problem, moderators can make changes after that; but usually, unless it is a real big error that changes the whole meaning of the post, we choose to let it slide (everybody makes typos, we understand).

Fr David Moser

#3 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

I think that there is an edit "window", which is to say a set period of time during which you can edit your post. Once that time has elapsed, the post remains as it is and your best option, if the error is serious enough to warrant it, is to follow it up with a corrective post. A simple typo can probably be quietly left.

Monachos has one of the most generous edit windows I have encountered online. Other such sites I know of allow five minutes, or even two minutes in one case. This stems from the fact that, with a very long edit window, a less scrupulous contributor than anybody here could easily post something inflammatory, provoking a number of heated responses, only for the original contributor to edit the post an hour later to something much more reasoned, causing all subsequent replies to appear rash and unreasonable.

Even in places such as monachos where that sort of thing is unlikely to happen, there still needs to be some period after which the facility to edit is withdrawn, otherwise it would be possible to change a post months or even years after it was oriignally posted, possibly for quite innocent reasons, but it does mean that the sense of the subsequent conversation could be disrupted.

I hope that helps a little.

Edited by Michael Astley, 23 March 2010 - 07:05 PM.
Father David beat me to it

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Check out the Community Handbook (3rd button on the bottom row of the header at the top of the page). In addition to the guidelines and rules for using the forum there is a pretty extensive and well written faq for all kinds of questions about how to do things on the forum. one of the questions deals with editing your own post. The edit window is one hour (not the 5 min I suggested before) and as I said after that, if it is a real major error that changes the sense of the post drastically, moderators may be able to help or, as Michael suggested, just send a "correctional" followup post.

Fr David Moser

#5 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thank you both, Fr. David Moser and Sbdcn Michael Astley for responding to my query. The reference to the Community Handbook is great. I had wondered how the "look" of posts was changing, as well as the multi-quoting/or separation in the quote to better answer the Post was effected. I have a lot to learn about the technical aspect of Forums. Am surely a neophyte in this area. Hopefully that as I post this response, that I'll see where the "edit" button is placed, and try a little practice on the issue.

That was a practice session.

marie-duquette

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 23 March 2010 - 08:09 PM.
practice

#6 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Father David, please tell me what does IIRC stands for.

#7 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

If I Recall Correctly

#8 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

If I Recall Correctly

Ah thank you! I can also be cool now and use IIRC, if IIRC. :)

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

I am trying to add to a recent post in the Hip Hop thread. I can type my additional comments and click save, but then it just sits there spinning thinking about it and never actually saves the edit. This has happened on several other threads in the recent past and I have just not made mention of it.

Paul

#10 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Try hitting the "Advanced" button and try again...

#11 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

I can type my additional comments and click save, but then it just sits there spinning thinking about it and never actually saves the edit.

This is a known bug and a fix is being worked on. Try using Herman's solution in the meantime.

#12 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yup, it worked. Thanks Mod. Herm.

#13 Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

The problem with the AJAX editor should be fixed as of this morning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users