Photo
- - - - -

'Indeed He is risen', or 'Truly He is risen'?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Lanier

David Lanier

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

I have been in Churches where the response to the priest's proclamation that "Christ is Risen!" is either "Truly He is Risen" or "Indeed He is Risen".

Which is the most accurate way or the best translation; indeed or truly?

Thanks and God Bless,

David

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

Indeed, it truly does not matter. Either one works, that is one of the fun things about the English language.

Herman the truly a Pooh indeed

#3 David Lanier

David Lanier

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

Indeed, it truly does not matter. Either one works, that is one of the fun things about the English language.

Herman the truly a Pooh indeed

Haha, well said!

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:15 AM

Both. The Greek word alithos literally means in truth, as does the Slavonic word voistinnu. However, the word indeed, both in English, and in its Greek form, also has the meaning of in truth. In other words, indeed expresses the confirmation of the truth of Christ's resurrection just as well as truly.

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

'Indeed' derives from 'in deed'. 'Deed' is from Old English 'daed' meaning 'to do'. A deed is something done, an act. So, 'indeed' affirms that something has happened.

#6 David Lanier

David Lanier

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Olga for the translations.

#7 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

I like to say "verily." It's the only form that's actually in the Paschal canon.

#8 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

I prefer 'truly' as being from O.E. rather than 'verily' which is from Latin by way of French.

#9 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

I like to say "verily." It's the only form that's actually in the Paschal canon.

What does this mean? (i.e. 'it's the only form that's actually in the Paschal canon'.) I don't follow. It would depend entirely on which translation of the canon you are reading!

#10 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

That's true, Father, It depends on the translation. It was a joke, anyway.

#11 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Sometimes the difference might be practical. For me, "Indeed" can slide off the tongue more quickly and easily than "Truly". I tend to think our parish goes with "indeed" because when we do the "Christ is risen! ... Indeed He is risen!" three times at the end of a service, it's shouted out so quickly that "Truly He is risen!" would probably have some people (like me) tripping over their own tongues at the "tr" sound.

We also never know when our priest might throw it out in Slavonic, Romanian, Greek, Arabic, or Swahili (the other languages we sing the Paschal troparion in); fortunately, we tend to slow down a tad for those.

#12 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

One of my friends' response was Yes I know. :)

#13 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

The hip-hop greeting:

Christ in da hizzouse!
Tru dat!

#14 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

The lolcat version:

Happy Cat bak frum teh deds!

Srsly!

#15 Michael Donley

Michael Donley

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

A little late for Pascha 2010, but I would add that I (and many others in the UK) are more used to the version "He is risen indeed!", which is also the version habitually used by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. When translating, it is not always necessary - and is sometimes erroneous - to keep to the word order of the original.
In my view, this placing of "indeed" at the end of the acclamation is preferable stylistically and liturgically for the following reason. The words are, of course, a reply to a proclamation whose main stress is (or should be) on the word "risen". The response echoes this fact, mirror-fashion in a stylistically pleasing fashion. What is new in our response is not that Christ is risen, but our affirmation that we believe this to be true. The final, emphatic position of the word "indeed" - as well as the fact that it is the final syllable of this word that is stressed - together add stylistic weight to this affirmation.
If one were writing these words (e.g. on a card or in a letter) rather than exclaiming them, there is little to choose between the various translations. However, when the congregation shouts them out at Pascha or during ensuing services, there is little doubt in my mind that the above version ("He is risen indeed !") is the most resoundingly triumphant .
(Of course, one could not transpose the word "truly" in this way; and "He is risen in truth" sounds unidiomatic.)

I wonder whether there are any other versions out there .....

In Christ,
Michael

#16 Albion

Albion

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have always heard it (and said it) as "He is risen, indeed." Rings better to me.

#17 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

My non-Orthodox friend Dave came to the midnight Pascha service in 2009 with his wife Laura. On our way back into the Church following the proclamation of the Gospel, one of the Lebanese old-timers was greeting everyone with an emphatic "Christ is risen!" He greeted Laura in that way, and she responded, "Thank you!"

#18 Michael Albert

Michael Albert

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

There was a Church I used to attend that would respond, "Indeed He has!"

I had never heard that one before. I could never get used to it.

#19 Richard Jendras

Richard Jendras

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

There was a Church I used to attend that would respond, "Indeed He has!"

I had never heard that one before. I could never get used to it.

Whether or not you use "Truly" or "Indeed," the response should always be kept in agreement with the original greeting. The original greeting is Christ IS risen! Not, Christ HAS risen! We always speak of Christ in the present tense. The Ressurection of Christ is here and now, always present never past historical event, but one taht is ever-occuring.....always in the present. Therefore, the response of Indeed He has....well, ...it's just wrong! Sorry!

#20 Albion

Albion

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

A bit of light relief on the Winter Solstice.

Someone once related to me the story of a very posh little old English lady who had been invited to attend her first Pascha liturgy, but without being properly 'briefed.'

When the first person said to her 'Christ is Risen!' she replied with a smile: 'Jolly good.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users