3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

I was wondering what other people thought about Eusebius book History of the Church. I have it on my book shelf to read along with other books that I want to read. So, I guess what I'm getting at is it worth the read over say, St. Maximus, or Nicodemus, or St. Theophan the Recluse?

How concise is it from from an Orthodox pov? Or does it lean more towards Roman history of the Church, though at the time it was written there was only one Church.

Christ is Risen!

Jason, a wretched sinner.

#2 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Dear Jason,

It is well worth reading; but don't expect it to have always the spiritual tone of some of the others you have mentioned: it is, while piously intended (in support of St Constnatine), it is nonetheless an historical survey and overview - so not explicitly a reflective text. But it offers some wonderful, beautiful, moving insights into the life and spirituality of the early Church.

INXC, Fr Irenei

#3 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Thank you Father Irenei!

#4 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm teaching this text for the second time to my middle school Church History class. It's a very well written primary source, fairly accessible. The new edition by Kegel with the commentary by Paul Maier is helpful, but his Protestant presuppositions penetrate ponderously throughout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users