• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sal Ferreira

Sal Ferreira

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Being new to the Orthodox service, I am having difficulty following the Orthros in Greek. Is there a book in English available to follow the service?
Sal Ferreira

#2 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

It is hard to find a single book that has the entire service, because the Orthros is gathered from many other liturgical books.

However, there are numerous sources of service texts that are already compiled. One excellent source is Fr. Seraphim, who regularly posts the text of Orthros services for Sundays and many Feasts in Greek and English (for free): http://sgpm.goarch.o...tins/matins.htm.

#3 Owen

Owen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

http://www.goarch.or...iturgical_texts has a number of liturgical texts available; I'm not sure if they can be accessed online and printed off, but I know that in the past, I have printed the Sunday Orthros in English from a text prepared by the Monastery of St. Gregory Palamas. You might find this information helpful.

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

Dare I say that the best way, even though it takes quite some effort (speaking from experience), is to get an understanding of the structure of a Resurrectional or Festal Matins service, then, one is in a better position to navigate through the shortened version which is sung in most Greek and Antiochian parishes on Sunday mornings before the Divine Liturgy. This is one of the very great benefits of becoming familiar with the Russian/Slavic Vigil service, though, I would be the first to say that this option may not be available to our friend Sal.

Sal, Vespers (Esperinos) and Matins (Orthros) are not "standardised" services. While there is a structure to them, what will be read, said and sung during these services greatly depends on the day of the week, and/or the rank of feast which is celebrated. Unlike the Divine Liturgy, which varies only slightly in specific areas on any given Sunday, barely a third of Matins is a "fixed" text. The rest, to put it simply, is hymns of the day or feast. The links that others have provided should help, as these should provide these variable portions of the hymnody (what is read, said and sug). However, in my experience, check with your priest or choir director as to what basic structure is used in your parish. Even in this there may be variations from parish to parish.

Edited by Olga, 28 April 2010 - 01:27 AM.

#5 Sal Ferreira

Sal Ferreira

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I don't feel quite as confused. This gives me a sense of direction.
Sal Ferreira

#6 Pantelis

Pantelis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

In addition to the link above from St. Gregory Palamas which lists the Orthros service specific for each Sunday, I would recommend going through Fr. Vaporis's 'Sunday Orthros' book from Holy Cross press. He lists both the fixed and changeable parts of the Orthros. It might seem a bit confusing at first, but after a while you should have a better understanding of the structure of the Orthros service.

#7 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

One other suggestion - if you still have trouble following Orthros after following the above suggestions, you might try recording a service. Then you can go "back to the tape" and compare with the service books. That's what I'm planning to do (I've already made a recording, but haven't had much time to go over most of it yet).

#8 Nathaniel Woon

Nathaniel Woon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

The Antiochians have a liturgical guide for Vespers, Orthros and the Liturgy - this is the link - http://www.antiochia...iturgical-guide

#9 Sal Ferreira

Sal Ferreira

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

Four months later, I would like to post my thank you for the responses to my questions on the Orthros Service. http://sgpm.goarch.o...tins/matins.htm. web site and repetition of attendance is giving me a better sense of what is going on. Gradually I am picking up an understand of sporadic Greek words that are acting as directional signs as to where the service is headed. The same is true, to a greater degree, with the Liturgy. I am feeling more part of the service rather than just an observer. Again, thank you for your direction.
Sal Ferreira

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 16 August 2010 - 10:34 PM.
removed extraneous formatting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users