25 replies to this topic

#21 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Sorry i just remembered about the father that the anglican priest met was actually Fr Christodolous not Fr Lazarus as the father had an English accent and spoke it perfectly as well. He too was a hermit.

#22 Ciero F.

Ciero F.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

As someone who has visited Fr Lazaros, Yes visitors are welcome, and Fr. would be very grateful for whatever you might bring him(he loves good English & Irish teas)!

#23 Kelil

Kelil

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

As someone who has visited Fr Lazaros, Yes visitors are welcome, and Fr. would be very grateful for whatever you might bring him(he loves good English & Irish teas)!

sounds like good news to me Ciero F. :D

#24 Andrew Prather

Andrew Prather

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

I recently came across this documentary as well and find it quite interesting and inspiring. I also do not think Fr. Lazarus would claim to be the last anchorite as others have said in this thread. It is the title of the producer. I think the producer chose the title because Fr. Lazarus is (according to the film) the only monk around who has no connection with his family and does not speak the language of the area.

Does anyone know if Fr. Lazarus is Coptic in the sense that he accepts all of its teachings or only Coptic because it is the surrounding Church? Does anyone know if he ever makes Christological statements?

One need not do anything extra-ordinary or go to any exotic place in order to enhance one's hope of salvation. It can be done anywhere (including towns in Ireland and England).

I think St. Isaac the Syrian would dispute this. I think he would state that this thought has Messaliantendencies and argue against it. To practice the anchorite and solitary life you must cut off all of your connections with worldly living and leave it all behind you. I am pretty sure Isaac states somewhere that the Messalians are greatly mistaken when they think that they can practice the ascetical life and pure prayer in the cities amongst those who are living worldly.

#25 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

I am pretty sure Isaac states somewhere that the Messalians are greatly mistaken when they think that they can practice the ascetical life and pure prayer in the cities amongst those who are living worldly.

Not really we have Sts Constantine Palamas and Neagoe Basarab as examples of living in the world and achieving pure prayer.

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 11 May 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#26 Kelil

Kelil

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

I think everyone is called to a particular vocation according to their ability for God knows the heart, some men are called to priesthood others to deacons some are called to live a life of pure prayer in the world and some are called to a life of pure prayer in the caves and mountains.

St.Clement of alexandria once said that there are those who live the faith in the every day world and those who are called to lead a life of spiritual perfection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users