6 replies to this topic

#1 Yolanda

Yolanda

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have the icon of All Creation Rejoices in Thee, but i don't konw the history about it.

I only know the hymn(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axion_Estin):

All of Creation rejoices in thee, O full of grace:
the angels in heaven and the race of men,
O sanctified temple and noetic paradise,
the glory of virgins, of whom God was incarnate
and became a child, our God before the ages.
He made thy body into a throne,
and thy womb more spacious than the heavens.
All of creation rejoices in thee, O full of grace:
Glory be to thee.

Does anyone know of stories of The icon of the Theotokos "All of Creation Rejoices in Thee"? Nearly two years I still do not know anything about it.

Very much thanks for any help you can give me.

Yolanda

icon:
http://www.belygorod...duetXVIvGTG.jpg
http://upload.wikime...u_rejoices.jpeg

#2 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Dear Yolanda

I'm sorry that I can't give you any more information except that I believe that it was written by St John of Damascus.

In Xp

Alex

#3 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

"The renowned writer and Church poet, Saint John Damascene, served at the court of the caliph in his youth and was the ruler of the city of Damascus. A native of Syria, he lived in the middle of the 8th century, when the iconoclastic heresy was raging in the Byzantine Empire: icons were being destroyed, and their venerators were being severely persecuted. Being a highly education man and a gifted writer, John very convincingly wrote in defense of the Orthodox veneration of icons.

The Greek Emperor Leo the Isaurian, a convinced iconoclast, became enraged at John for his compositions. He ordered his scribe to learn Saint John's handwriting and to write a letter, as if in his name, addressed to the Byzantine Emperor, in which John supposedly offers his services to the Isaurian in overthrowing the caliph. The Isaurian Emperor sent this forged letter off to the caliph as proof of his friendship towards the caliph and the treason of John Damascene.
The eastern despot, without investigating the matter and not accepting John's explanation, ordered that he be confined in prison and that his right hand, which had supposedly written the treasonous letter, be cut off. Having an icon of the Mother of God with him in the prison, Saint John placed his cut­off right hand before it and prayed long before the icon, pouring out his woe. The Immaculate Virgin appeared to the sufferer in his sleep, and gazing mercifully at him said: "Thy hand is now whole; sorrow no more". John awoke and with joyful astonishment saw that the cut­off hand had adhered to its place and become whole, just as before. Only a narrow scar remained that reminded of the punishment. In an excess of joy and gratitude to the merciful Intercessor, John composed in his soul the hymn: "In thee, O Full of Grace, all creation rejoiceth". This hymn is sung in Church till now at the Liturgy of Saint Basil the Great." (http://www.balamand....of_damascus.htm)

This icon before which St. John prayed exists to this day on Mount Athos in the Chilander Monastery. It is called "Tricherousa", or Panagia "of Three Hands" due to the silver hand which St. John placed on the icon as a testament to the above miracle.

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Niko's post gives the story behind the icon Of the Three Hands, not All Creation Rejoices in You. The composition of both icons is quite different from each other.

#5 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:35 AM

True, Olga. This is the history behind St. John of Damascus, the hymn "All creation..." and the "Three Hands" icon.

I don't know if there is a separate history of the "All creation..." icon. To my knowledge, the icon visually depicts the themes of the hymn, but maybe someone has more information about it.

#6 Yolanda

Yolanda

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Thank everyone for your help.

The icon is a beautiful mystery, it always accompany me, maybe it only depicts the themes of the hymn as Niko said, but i hope that someone will give more information, it would be very grateful from your help.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

I would also be very curious about the history of this icon, and also the All Saints icon which is similar in composition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users