• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

I would like to know how the vigil of a feast of lesser rank (no litia, no sung doxology) is conducted if it is the patronal feast of a parish or monastery. Would a magnification (not the usual resurrectional stikhera) after the polyeleos be appointed? Would a litia be appointed? Or would such a feast be conducted as per the standard rubrics?

#2 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I know in the Greek tradition, if it is a well-celebrated "lesser rank" feast, often a hymnographer will compose a more extensive, festal service text beyond that which is in the Menaion. Such a service would include hymns for the litia, three sets of kathismata, etc. This has been done for many saints.

If a more extensive service is not available, though, it might be challenging (but possible) to replace the missing hymns with hymns from the Paraklitiki, Triodion or Pentecostarion. But the issue of if or how this feast should be celebrated is up to the priest or bishop, especially because the rubrics are often lacking in such details.

#3 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Olga, this is the case at my parish. Our patron is St. Maximus the Confessor, who has two feasts (January 21st & August 13th) but neither is a full service. Our priest did something similar to what Niko has said. We serve the feasts as Vigils (the August feast is easier because it gets transferred to the 12th and is combined with the after-feast of Transfiguration). But, basically, if one feast was lacking, we pulled materials from the other to fill some spots, and then used some parts from the general menaion service for a confessor, such as the readings, magnification, litia, etc.

I think the general rule is that your church's patronal feast gets bumped up to Vigil class no matter what it is, so you just have to try and find the materials to make up the service. It may mean repeating some stichera 3 times at LIHC, it just depends.

Sbdn. Anthony

#4 Brian Rowlands

Brian Rowlands

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

I think the general rule is that your church's patronal feast gets bumped up to Vigil class no matter what it is.....
Sbdn. Anthony

If falling during the Great Fast a patronal feast would even 'require' the Liturgy of the Presanctified.

#5 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

I think the general rule is that your church's patronal feast gets bumped up to Vigil class no matter what it is, so you just have to try and find the materials to make up the service. It may mean repeating some stichera 3 times at LIHC, it just depends.

Yup. That's what I've seen. You should be able to pull almost everything that is "lacking" from the General Menaion, if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users