Photo
- - - - -

Unseen Warfare (Lorenzo Scupoli, St Nikodemos)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

Title: Unseen Warfare
Author(s): Lorenzo Scupoli edited by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and revised by Theophan the Recluse
Publisher: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press; Revised edition (March 1997)
ISBN-10: 0913836524
ISBN-13: 978-0913836521
Pages: 280
Sub-Genre: Spiritual Life
Price: $9.05-$17.09
Links: Amazon.com
Description: From Amazon: This spiritual classic was written by Lorenzo Scupoli, a sixteenth-century Venetian priest. Immensely popular in its own day, it was ranked by Francis de Sales with the Imitation of Christ. In the general rapport between Western and Eastern Christendom, it reached Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, who first recognized its immense spiritual worth, and later, in the nineteenth century, Theophan the Recluse, both of whom edited and translated the work.

Rich in its references to the teachings of the saints and Fathers, Unseen Warfare combines the insights of West and East on that spiritual combat which is the road to perfection and the stripping away of all that militates against it. Staretz Theophan wrote in his foreword, "the arena, the field of battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all our inner man. The time of battle is our whole life."

[ATTACH]1611[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Edited by Administrator, 13 January 2011 - 07:51 AM.
Styling for Books Review area

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

This is my 5th read through of this book. Once I get to the end, I just start over. Many books tell you "what" to do; this book tells you "how" to do it. I could not imagine not reading this daily. Just one chapter a day is enough to keep your brain busy for days. I often have to re-read a chapter in attempt to wrap my mind around what is being said.

My wife has even gotten hold of it and highlighted and underlined sentences and paragraphs and marked it all up with her own thoughts. Time for another copy...

Paul

#3 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Like Paul, I also read a chapter a day, usually I read it to my wife while having some morning tea. This is only my third reading. What I have started to do is to try and condense each chapter to a paragraph or two. This has helped me to grasp the important point(s) without having to follow all of the arguments.

Thanks for posting the book.

#4 Mikhail Kolitwenzew

Mikhail Kolitwenzew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Very good and instructive book. Blessed Seraphim Rose calls the book the 'ABC's' of spiritual reading.

The book speak about 'Christian perfection' in a few places, but the fact is, there is no limit to perfection. (Read the book 'Orthodox Psychotherapy')

Its sure to inflate people with pride without obedience to a spiritual father. So i'd be sure to find a guide for reading it (as with any book).

St Dorotheos of Gaza says, ''No one is more wretched, no one more vulnerable than the person who has no-one to direct his path to God''.

He goes on to say, ''Even if there is a good thing to be done, and we have the testimony of some saint that it is good, we must on the one hand hold that it is good, but on the other, not rely on our own ability to perform it in the way it should be done.''

His chapter out of this audio book explains a lot: Practical Teaching on the Christian Life. Lesson 5, That One Should Not Trust His Own Understanding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users