10 replies to this topic

#1 Aidan Kimel

Aidan Kimel

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

And surely every member of this forum has the right to ask for credentials. Sometimes it's the credentials that separate the real physicians from the quacks--not always but often enough.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

Nobody is pretending or claiming to be a physician so I don't see the relevance.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:57 AM

And surely every member of this forum has the right to ask for credentials. Sometimes it's the credentials that separate the real physicians from the quacks--not always but often enough.

Every participant in this forum has the right to present an opinion, regardless of "credentials". And every participant has the right to disagree with or disregard any particular opinion regardless of credentials as well.

There are only two "credentials" that are checked (and thus required) on this forum. One is the claim to be an "Orthodox Christian" (or otherwise a "guest from another tradition") and the other is whether or a not a person claiming to be an Orthodox clergyman or monastic is indeed ordained and or tonsured. Beyond that credentials in this forum are unimportant - it is simply a matter of opinion.

Fr David (who refuses to add the alphabet soup of various credentials after his name here)

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Every participant in this forum has the right to present an opinion, regardless of "credentials". And every participant has the right to disagree with or disregard any particular opinion regardless of credentials as well.

#5 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Forget the credentials. What I want to know is do my fellow posters have errors and omissions insurance so I can sue you if you make a post that causes me grief!

--Rick the uncredentialed credentialed, reductio ad absurdum Pooh

Posted Image

#6 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Is this beginning to sound like Arizona?

#7 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

More important than credentials, to me, is the right to ask for references. If I see a claim that "elder so-and-so said this" or "the canons say that", I really want a specific reference (preferably hyperlinked) so I can check it out myself! References can let you separate history from "urban legends".

#8 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

I certainly agree with Michael. One should always double and triple check anything they read on the Internet, and always be alert for circular references, where one site references another site that references the first site! But certainly links and sources are fair.

But asking for "credentials" is basically questioning a person's right to post an opinion. I don't think we need to get into that here. Now if a person is claiming specific privilege or knowledge or that their opinion should have priority, they should be able to justify that claim or we are free to disregard it.

Or so it seems to this bear of little brain
Herman the non-credentialed Pooh

#9 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

But asking for "credentials" is basically questioning a person's right to post an opinion. I don't think we need to get into that here.

No arguments - I don't think we want to get into that sort of thing here (of course, I'm a bit biased, since needing credentials would exclude me from talking about almost anything except computers, martial arts, and trivia).

#10 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

i'd be excluded unless it pertained to Human Resources or Diversity Training...Wow, how sad is my life, LOL

#11 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:59 AM

Now if a person is claiming specific privilege or knowledge or that their opinion should have priority, they should be able to justify that claim or we are free to disregard it.

Or so it seems to this bear of little brain
Herman the non-credentialed Pooh

Sinning. I know something about this.

I am an expert, ask anyone. Nothing and everything I profess to be truth on this subject of sinning should not be taken with any merit as I am have priveledged, specific, and priority opinions on everything. So, for those that do and do not know me, I am the best and greatest at what I do best. So listen to what I say and don't do as I do becuase truthfully, I can't be trusted to do either.

Paul
B.S. PhD. in Sin and it's related fields
Fire and Brimstone University

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users