#1 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

This is from the life of St. Jude from the OCA site.

The Holy Apostle Jude also had other names: the Evangelist Matthew terms him "Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddeus" (Mt. 10:3). The Holy Evangelist Mark also calls him Thaddeus (Mark 3:18), and in the Acts of the Holy Apostles he is called Barsabas (Acts 15: 22). This was customary at that time.

At times I can barely remember my own name. Why was it "customary" for an individual to have so many differnet names. I have seen many others also have alternate names.

In this century we also have multiple names but they are short for the root name. Not an entirely different name.
Robert = Bob = Bobby
Jude = Thaddeus = Barsabas?

I don't see the root connection.

Paul

#2 Kosmas Damianides

Kosmas Damianides

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

This is from the life of St. Jude from the OCA site.

At times I can barely remember my own name. Why was it "customary" for an individual to have so many differnet names. I have seen many others also have alternate names.

In this century we also have multiple names but they are short for the root name. Not an entirely different name.
Robert = Bob = Bobby
Jude = Thaddeus = Barsabas?

I don't see the root connection.

Paul

The Jews had one main name, but many surnames. The Surnames either describe their best quality or their ancestry.
Jude means 'praise'.
Thaddeus means 'brave heart'.
Barsabas means 'son of rest' or 'son of Saba'

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Ok, I see. So this is the same as the "real" name of the city of Los Angeles

"El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula," ("The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of the River Porciúncula").

I wonder if anyone there still rememebrs their town was dedicated to the Holy mother?

Or my name
Paul "little" or "humble"
Edward "rich guard" or blessed guard" I have also heard it to mean warrior.

Paul Edward "humble, blessed warrior" and Cowan from the lowlands of Scotland were a metal working people (blacksmiths). Many more were farmers near the lowland seas.

Paul ( who is non too humble or heroic and hates working with tools or dirt.)

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

There is also the phenomenon in villages and small towns of a family having an "official" surname, and an "unofficial" one, a kind of family nickname. The locals generally used the nickname, which usually bore no resemblance to the proper surname, to identify individuals or families.

#5 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

Over here we call them hillbillies.

back to topic...Is this why the brothers were called "sons of thunder"? Or is this just a personal nickname rather than a family nickname?

#6 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem, and sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they entered a village of the Samaritans, to prepare for Him. But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem. And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?” (Luke 9:51-54)

Evidently they had a rather strong if perhaps occasionally misplaced zeal.

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 21 June 2010 - 12:51 AM.

#7 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

I tread lightly here...but did this "zeal" or arrogance follow them the rest of their lives.

"Hey look over there. Those are the sons of thunder". snicker snicker
or was this credited to them in a more (hopefully) holy way? I have had a coupleof nicknames follow me through life I would rather go away.

Sometimes I forget these were real people and had real lives and real modern day characteristics to live by/ up to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users