- - - - -

The Ladder, by St John

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wallace Justin Miller

Guest_Wallace Justin Miller
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone have any advice or any sort of schedule for reading The Ladder in it's entirety during Lent? I'm trying to figure out a way to stretch it out the entire forty days.

#2 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

I do, if you're still interested. It's at home - I've got a small table that guides you through how much of "The Ladder" to read each day. Once I get home, I'll get back online and post it here for you. :-)

#3 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

Here is the table, as promised ... hope you can read it!
I'm looking forward to reading through "The Ladder" this Lent, using the same table. Best wishes!

[Link to table...]

(Message edited by admin on 01 March, 2006)

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

Dear 'Baroness',

Thank you for that link. Tucked away in my copy of the Ladder is a hand-written 'schedule of reading' (i.e. a schema for dividing up the book into short portions to ensure that it's got through during Lent) that was the common use in a monastery where I spent some time several years ago. Interestingly, it's almost identical to that which you've posted!

INXC, Matthew

#5 Guest_Eugenia

Guest_Eugenia
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

Dear Baroness,

Thank you for the link for "The Ladder". I, too, wish ro use it during Lent. Thank you for sharing! EugeniaPosted Image

#6 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

In another thread I have asked for help with determining which copy of the Ladder to purchase. In order to not clutter up that thread I am here asking for help.

Here are some that seem to be options. Can anyone please tell me which they might recommend?

Thank you:

John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality) by Colm Luibheid and Norman Russell (Paperback - Dec 1982)

St. John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent by Archimandrite Lazarus [Trans.] Moore (Hardcover - 1973)

The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus The classic work on the spiritual life. Available in two formats:

Holy Transfiguration Monastery edition - Deluxe edition printed in red and black throughout. 336 pp. cloth. HTF1411

Paulist Press edition - paperback. MEP6203

PS No Paul, I don't want to 'split' this book with you. Thanks for the offer though!!! :o)

#7 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

With a little help from my friends (again), I just found this review of the following book by Fr. Dcn. Matthew on Amazon:

John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality) by Colm Luibheid and Norman Russell (Paperback - Dec 1982) Paulist Press

While no objections can be made to this work itself (the 'Ladder' is one of the greater spiritual texts in human history), it is this particular translation of the text that must be criticized. This edition is wonting in the original tone of the Greek, little of which has been preserved in its English rendition.

Perhaps more upsetting is the 'insertion' into the translation of much Western religious sentiment that is not apparent in Maximus' original Greek. This is fundamentally an Eastern text from an early period, and its translation 'into' a modern Western framework does a great injustice both to the text and to the reader. Only one star for this volume: those who are considering reading the 'Ladder' would do themselves much better to find one of the various other translations available, such as that by the Transfiguration Monastery, or HMC Press (the latter available hereon Amazon.com)

So, I guess I am steering towards this one at the present:

Holy Transfiguration Monastery:
Orthodox Icons and Books

#8 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

Personally I found the Western Spirituality translation bothersome by mentioning in many places that some part of the ladder is not mentioned in their translation but it is mentioned in the HTM version, plus they quoted Origen once too many times for me.

Does anyone know if the Archimandrite Lazarus Moore version is any good?

#9 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Does anyone know if the Archimandrite Lazarus Moore version is any good?

I think the Archimandrite's version is the HTM version (Holy Transfiguration Mountain)

Orthodox Icons and Books

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 02 January 2010 - 01:53 AM.
Removed extraneous formatting

#10 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:03 AM

Yes, the HTM version is the Archimandrite's version. It has some things that are missing from the Classics of Western Spirituality edition. I had to read The Ladder this summer as part of my OCA deanery's higher ed program and our instructor much, much preferred the HTM edition.

ETA: I was delighted to see the link to the scheme for reading The Ladder through Great Lent. I printed it out and it's now residing in my copy. Very timely as Great Lent begins in about six weeks!

#11 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just noticed that I can't see the Lenten schedule for reading the Ladder using the link given above, but I did find a couple of other copies online - one at Ortodoxia, the other at the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saint Josaphat (they look identical to each other).

In Christ,
Michael

#12 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi

I have bought Psuedo Macarius - The Fifty Homilies by "The Classics of Western Spirituality.

I was just wondering why does it say Western and not Eastern?  Is this good to read for an orthodox Christian?

Thank you

#13 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

I figure by "western spirituality" they are refering to christianity in general.

#14 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

St Macarius is considered a father of the Church and his homilies are considered important theologically and ascetically.  The translation that you purchased (the same as I have btw) was published by an institution of the Roman Catholic Church and so that is why the "Western Spirituality" tag is there.  St Macarius is a preschism saint and so is recognized by Rome as well as the Orthodox churches.

Fr David

#15 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:39 AM

Great, thank you both very much.  It is a great book

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users