4 replies to this topic

#1 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'm curious how many of you have listened to this address. It is available here (http://ancientfaith....scopal_assembly). I know that +Jonah can be a controversial figure, but he comes across in this address as someone truly catholic and truly seeking unity in North America that isn't simply all churches gathered under the OCA, but encompasses all ethnicities, converts, cradles, languages. I put this under Evangelism and Mission because his main point seems to be that America is still a mission field: needing more than ever the fullness of the Gospel as understood and taught by the Orthodox church (no matter its country of origin). I would be interested to discuss this address and see what others think of it. It's a short 17minute read address followed by questions and answers.

#2 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

I'll have to listen to it this evening, but I know Met JONAH personally. He really is seeking unity in Orthodox North America in all humility. He's not out to get everyone "under him" - even though cynics might think otherwise. Why else would he have attended the recent meeting of all canonical Orthodox Bishops in North America organised by the Greek Archdiocese as a simple Bishop, instead of the head of an autocephalous Church, as he ought to have been?

I guess the cynicism comes naturally as it is common for Bishops to play political games with each other, but Met JONAH really is a genuine exception to that rule.

#3 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'll be listening to it later also. Metropolitan JONAH is a very humble person who only seeks what is best for the laity and for Orthodoxy. He is a great guy. I'm pleased to have gotten to know him over the years.

#4 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

I also know Metropolitan Jonah personally, and Fr. Cyprian is entirely correct. Jonah is a good man who has only the good of all in mind. We are greatly blessed to have him as our hierarch.

#5 Valla Nina

Valla Nina

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

I was there, at Met. Jonah's address - he preceded it with an impromptu, unscripted talk about Mercy, and this is also available on AFR, the subject was Remembering the Least of These. He truly is a humble man, filled with love and concern for all. The following day, he came for a tour of the marketplace, of which I was coordinator. He was keenly and genuinely interested in each of the vendors (artisans, musicians, craftspeople, Christian businesses) and non-profit groups that participated in this public market, for they were from a cross-section of mainstream Christianity: not only Orthodox, but Roman Catholic, Anglican (Episcopalian), Lutheran and others who work simply to help their fellow human beings. Met. Jonah was so encouraging, so loving toward each person, listening carefully and honoring each one for their work. Spending that hour with him was memorable for me. We are truly blessed to have him as our hierarch. One of the threads that carried through this assembly was that as Orthodox, we cannot exist in a vacuum, separating ourselves from the world outside of Orthodoxy; for most of us, it is by working with others to the glory of God that we work out our own salvation, and help those 'others' be they Christian or non-Christian, in the struggle that is common to us all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users