#1 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Greetings,

I know that The Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies has stopped producing The Evergetinos in individual volumes (as they now have the 4 volume set). It so happens, that I much prefer the smaller booklet form (although, I realize it was more costly to produce than the current format). I find it much easier to travel with.

I have come across the majority of these books, but can't seem to find vol 1 & 2 of Book 4. Nina from St. Nectarios Press has been most helpful. I have gotten most of them volumes through them, but have also found a few through eighthdaybooks.com. She was under the impression that the publisher 'destroyed' the remaining copies of Book 4 since they were about to release the 4 book/volume set...

Is anyone aware of any sources for obtaining volume 1 and 2 of Book 4? I would love to get ahold of these if possible, otherwise I may just have to get the current larger Book 4.

Thank you!

Mike

#2 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Two years later....

I found this:
http://www.easternch...5/c84796/a84450

Does anyone know why the Evergetinos is so much less well known than the Philokalia?

#3 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Two years later....

I found this:
http://www.easternch...5/c84796/a84450

Does anyone know why the Evergetinos is so much less well known than the Philokalia?

It derives from our own mind set I think. When I visited the Holy Mt a number of years ago I was curious after a while what this book was-Evergetinos- that so often was being read during the monastic trapeza? I had never heard of it.

It was then explained to me that the Evergetinos presented the ABCs of the spiritual life, that it could be seen as a kind of prelude to the Philokalia.

It's typical of us then that we often start with what for us would more than likely be theoretical depictions of the top of the mountain rather than with material which first deals with the basics.

We see this for example in how very little of Sts Theophan the Recluse & Ignaty Brianchaninov is translated into English even though they both wrote extensively on the basics of the spiritual life and also provided extensive commentaries on Scripture.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users