Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

"Upon this rock I build my Church": St. Cyprian, Orthodox and Roman Catholic views

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

Daniel,

The problem is this is precisely what O ethnicity does say. That Rome had the first place because it was the imperial city. Rome doesn't care for such a claim they fought against it.

Quoting pope leo about the papacy doesn't say much as his writings weren't so much dogmatic as they were ranting. The papacy during that time was marginalized nor holding much sway. This is apparent in his letters to the emperess Pulcheria. This is why all the quotes concerning the papacy usually called upon are political in nature. It's to appease the bishop of rome for his temper tantrums. He really was a non player in the early church.

#22 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well, perhaps non-player is the wrong term, because he definitely was able to get Chalcedon called, and overturn the 449 council of Ephesus' decision on Flavian and Eutyches. So, I am not sure non-player is the correct term... :) 

#23 Rdr. Isaac

Rdr. Isaac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Daniel, your thoughts on the Orthodox understanding of the Papacy are brilliant because they are patristic. You are honest with the sources and faithful to their spirit. I have just excerpted your post into an email to my theological friends. I plan also to email it to Patrick Barnes who runs orthodoxinfo.com. One of my friends runs classicalchristianity.com.

Thank you very much for such reasoning. You really ought to go through other forums copying and pasting this-- this would be a good work. I plan to do so if I ever happen upon one again because your answer is so concise, so simple, and following the royal path of the fathers it neither veers to the right or to the left. It quotes the fathers who dealt with Orthodox expressions of primacy and a father who dealt with anti-Orthodox expressions of primacy. It defuses so much of the ammunition that Latins use to "prove" their point, but the fact is that there was a universal primacy of honor and of a limited canonical authority. You have articulated that vision very well! May God bless you for it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users