Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Dear friends, Community members and readers of Monachos.net,

As we have done in years past (though not for some time), we are this year holding a Monachos.net Appeal, to help raise funds for a worthy cause. Our cause this year is the Saint John of San Francisco Orthodox Academy: one of the only fully Orthodox K-12 schools in North America, and a pioneer in Orthodox schooling throughout the world. About to enter its 17th year of operation, this vibrant school is situated beneath the relics of St John (Maximovich) in San Francisco, before which the children and staff together pray each day, and runs a fully accredited academic programme following the Classical education model through to College Preparatory level, while fully integrating all its studies, activities and functioning to the Orthodox faith and life.

The current economic situation, however, is hitting everyone hard -- especially private schools. The financial future is extremely challenging, and even a school with a reputation such as this is at risk, if it cannot find generous supporters to help ensure its life and mission. Given the rarity of Orthodox schools and the need for highest-quality education in a fully Orthodox environment, St John's aims to make its program available to any Orthodox family that seeks it, even if their financial means are limited. This means that it must rely on assistance to keep itself alive, if the costs associated with running the school (which always outweigh the amount taken in from tuition) are to be met and its mission continued.

My own involvement with the St John of San Francisco Orthodox Academy began this year, when I travelled to the U.S.A. in part to take up the role of its director, and I have been truly moved and impressed by the spirit, standards, and life of this remarkable small school. I am certain that its work will be just as impressive and important to many others amongst our Monachos.net community and readers; hence the appeal to raise funds (I hope, a substantial amount of funds) to ensure its ongoing operation. Please click here to read more information about the school, our appeal, and how to contribute immediately on-line with a few clicks of your mouse.

I am delighted to say that, due to the customary generosity of our readers, in the first 48 hours of the Appeal's information being on-line, we have already brought in over $700 USD! This was in no small part to one reader's generous single contribution of $500, coupled with the wonderful donations in $20s, $50s, and $100s also coming in (though you can also donate in other currencies!). So many thanks to those of you who saw the information and immediately contributed your support.

Can you help? Click here....

I would like to encourage all of our readers to donate for this worthy cause. Whether you can offer a small amount, or whether you might be willing to make the sacrifice of a larger contribution - every donation helps.

INXC, Hieromonk Irenei

#2 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

As an additional incentive: :)

Those who may be interested, can watch a streaming video from St. John's Academy, demonstrating some of the 'lighter moments' in the life of the school last year. Click here to view on the school's web site, or watch in-line on this page:

#3 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Dear friends,

As we carry forward with this appeal (which has currently raised almost $1,000 in its first week), I am hopeful that more and more people will join in helping ensure that this Orthodox school continues to be able to function into the future.

If, world-wide, we could find 1,000 people willing to sacrifice just $100 each, we could create an endowment to ensure the life of St. John's. Though some people could contribute more: only 100 people at $1,000 could give the school the endowment it needs to survive and thrive.

Can you help us spread the word? The aim is big, but the cause more than worthy. We can all help!

Fuller details by clicking here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users