7 replies to this topic

#1 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Could someone please explain to me what the Apodosis of the Dormition is? I came across it while browsing the GOA calendar. Why does it fall a week after the Dormition?

-Ignatius

#2 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Dear Ignatius, the apodosis, often translated into English as 'leavetaking', is the day on which the festal 'after-period' associated with greater feasts comes to its conclusion. Generally speaking, the services of the apodosis largely mirror the services of the feast itself, 'giving it back' to God for another year. :)

INXC, Fr Irenei

#3 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

As Fr Irinei has said, some feasts have a period after the feast itself during which those days, in addition to the observance of the day, will have some festal element to them. The final day, known as the Leave-taking (Apodosis) of the feast is celebrated with (almost) the full observances of the feast itself. The first day of an afterfeast will sometimes be the "Synaxis" of some other notable holy one associated with the feast. The length of an afterfeast will vary from feast to feast.

If you are familiar with the Orthodox western rite or are a convert from a traditional western liturgical tradition, you will see the parallel to the octave, which is a period after a feast (usually but not always eight days) during which the celebration is continued, and again celebrated with high observance on the octave day itself.

M

#4 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

While we're on the subject of the Dormition, I've a quick question that doesn't warrant a thread of its own.

For the Dormition, we're doing Great Vespers but not the Vigil. At the end, I understand that the dismissal tropar is the festal tropar sung three times. Is that three times straight through or do we also sing Glory... Both now... at the usual points?

Thank you.

In Christ,
M

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

If you do the Vespers alone sing the tropar just once (unless you're doing litya along with the Vespers- then you would sing the tropar 3 times while the clergy censes around the litya table 3 times).

This is the rule for all Vespers when done alone, for example on Saturday evening. Let's say if you are doing Vespers alone not as part of Vigil this coming Saturday. You'd look at what it says for the tropars at Matins at God is the Lord: Troparia: Tone 5 Resurrection x2; G: Icon; N: Feast. But do the first tropar Resurrection only once and everything else exactly as indicated.

By the way your last point about Glory both now & ever when the tropar is done three times. From what I recall this indeed is correct. When the festal tropar is sung 3x at Matins as part of the feast day Vigil you would go: festal tropar 2x; GNE; festal tropar 1x. (at the litya though it would be sung 3x without GNE).

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#6 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

If you do the Vespers alone sing the tropar just once (unless you're doing litya along with the Vespers- then you would sing the tropar 3 times while the clergy censes around the litya table 3 times).

This is the rule for all Vespers when done alone, for example on Saturday evening. Let's say if you are doing Vespers alone not as part of Vigil this coming Saturday. You'd look at what it says for the tropars at Matins at God is the Lord: Troparia: Tone 5 Resurrection x2; G: Icon; N: Feast. But do the first tropar Resurrection only once and everything else exactly as indicated.

By the way your last point about Glory both now & ever when the tropar is done three times. From what I recall this indeed is correct. When the festal tropar is sung 3x at Matins as part of the feast day Vigil you would go: festal tropar 2x; GNE; festal tropar 1x. (at the litya though it would be sung 3x without GNE).

In Christ- Fr Raphael

Thank you, Father Raphael. Glory... Both now...it is then. :-) Thank you for clarifying that.

As for Saturday evenings, we only do Vespers and not the full Vigil, (for Vigil rank feasts, we do Litya but no artoklasia). What we usually do for the dismissal is sing the Resurrection tropar, Glory, the menaion tropar, Both now, then the Resurrection dismissal theotokion in the tone of the preceding tropar.

In Christ,
M

#7 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

What we usually do for the dismissal is sing the Resurrection tropar, Glory, the menaion tropar, Both now, then the Resurrection dismissal theotokion in the tone of the preceding tropar.

This is exactly right.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#8 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

It isn't often that I hear that. I suppose I was just taught well.

Thank you. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users