#1 Anthony G. Peggs

Anthony G. Peggs

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

hello everyone,

does anyone know anything about the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem in North America? is it canonical? i've visitied a monastery in resaca Georgia when i was a new convert to Orthodoxy and have stayed in contact with The Archimandrite ever since.

any help will be appreciated as always.

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

My understanding is that the parishes that were part of the Jerusalem Patriarchate are now part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. This is the official description that I found online:

Aug. 5, 2008 New York, NY - After a long process that began in 1993 related to the ecclesiastical status of a portion of the Palestinian and Jordanian communities in the USA, the portion connected to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, there has been a final agreed decision by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Patriarchate of Jerusalem concerning these communities. The Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Jerusalem Patriarchate have agreed that the canonical and pastoral supervision of these communities and their clergy should belong to the canonically established jurisdiction in the United States which is the Eparchy of the Ecumenical Throne in America, that is, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Henceforth, the Patriarchate of Jerusalem no longer asserts any jurisdiction in the Western Hemisphere.

One interesting thing about this is that these parishes were allowed to remain on the Old Calendar (that's the calendar the Jerusalem Patriarchate follows). Here is a link to one of these interesting parishes. http://www.slocc.com/

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#3 Anthony G. Peggs

Anthony G. Peggs

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Bless Father,

thank you. whats interesting to me is that the parishes are now a part of the ecumenical Patriarchate as you mentioned. yet the monastery that i was referring to is still part of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem, as far as i know. what is your take on that?

Kissing your Right Hand,

anthony

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

Bless Father,

thank you. whats interesting to me is that the parishes are now a part of the ecumenical Patriarchate as you mentioned. yet the monastery that i was referring to is still part of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem, as far as i know. what is your take on that?

Kissing your Right Hand,

anthony

God bless.

I doubt that they are still with the JP since an agreement was reached between the two churches that the JP would no longer have parishes in N America. If the monastery didn't go along with this maybe they went with another group instead of amalgamating with the EP.

In Christ- Fr Raphael
PS: I just checked the listings of the former JP parishes & monasteries now with the EP- Resaca isn't listed. And I see that their website does have the JP as their mother church. Maybe the site hasn't been updated as to who they're actually with.

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

FWIW, the whole status of the former JP parishes in NA is a very foggy situation at present. Many clergy/parishes protested and refused to acknowledge the transfer but the mother Churches basically ignore them - so nothing has changed, but at the same time everything has changed. Sounds like Orthodoxy to me.

Fr David Moser

#6 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

From what i understand the 2 monasteries are still under the JP as metochians, while the parishes are under the EP

#7 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have just transferred from the Serbian Church to a Jerusalem Patriarchate Church here in California. I moved cities and found that the JP Church was in the same city. Any news about this? It is 2012 and I have read that the JP Churches are no longer and are now under the GOA. What can you guys tell me?

#8 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yes- they are now under the EP and with the right to use the Old Calendar. I don't remember if they have their own senior priest responsible for their parishes or not.

There is an explanation here. Also one of their parishes.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#9 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

This particular parish is not under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. During the liturgy they still remember His Grace Damaskinos and Patriarch Theopilos, not any of the GOA or EP Hierarch(s). Their front sign says (Jerusalem Patriarchate). I was told by a priest that this parish refused the agreement between the EP and JP and chose to remain with the JP. Their antamensia is signed by the JP. So kind of a different situation then the rest of the parishes that I know came under the GOA.

#10 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

So is it safe to assume this St. Lawrence parish is probably the only jerusalem patriarchate parish in the western hemisphere? Personally i think it was a mistake for the JP to leave America.

#11 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

The St. Lawrence Parish is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate now. The Church I am referencing is not St. Lawrence. It's The Orthodox Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, JP, in Corona, CA.

#12 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Can anyone provide any new information in this matter? It's been 2 years and I still cannot get a good answer. I wrote the Jerusalem Patriarchate a year or more ago and they told me to call and gave me some bishops phone number. I didn't call because it was overseas and I cannot imagine that me talking to a bishop about this is a good sign. Any new information out there would be helpful. 

In Christ

Nektarios

#13 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Personally i think it was a mistake for the JP to leave America.

It wasn't. So there are 6 extra ones left that need to follow them.

#14 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

How does one define "canonical?"

#15 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Canonical simply means following the Canons and all it entails, it can be reduced to saying any church that is under a right believing bishop with apostolic succession.. Today its just an internal term used by church members to describe their own communion of churches.

Edited by Kosta, 07 December 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#16 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

Any information if there are current JP Churches here in the US other than what I have found?

#17 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:20 AM

Nektarios, I didn't even know there was still a parish under the JP. The Holy Cross Monastery in Setauket NY which acted as a kind of "headquarters" in the U.S. for the JP is now under ROCOR. I know the St James church in Milpitas CA has (had) palestinian clergy but followed into that palestinian/jordanian vicariate under the EP. From their website its still obvious that they would have preferred to be under their mother church the JP.

So what's the story with the Corona church, how have they remained under Jp? You seem to know the most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users