31 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Roche

Steve Roche

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Not all things have "copyright protection". There are exemptions under the "fair use" law in which material can be legally copied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

#22 Gregory Zancewicz

Gregory Zancewicz

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Does anyone know where to download a PDF version of the Philokalia? I am interested in starting reading it.

I would prefer either a version in English (my international tongue) or Spanish (my mother tongue).

Thanks in advance!!

I realize this is a really old post, but I came across it looking for something else.

Grupo Editorial Lumen in Argentina publishes a 3 volume version of the Philokalia in Spanish (called Filocalia).  It was published in 2005 and I don't know how available it is (I found a volume by chance in a book store in Sao Paulo 2 years ago tucked in with a bunch of "New Age" books).

Their URL is www.lumen.com.ar.  They seem to have a large number of patristic and Orthodox books in their "Collecion Ichtys"

From what I can tell, they translated from the Greek.  One thing they have that is lacking in the English edition is an index of Scriptural citations.  

#23 Georgije Z.

Georgije Z.

Junior Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I am involved in the copyright matters.

1. The new translation IS copyrighted by default. 
    I guess that Ware is not troubled by this because of his personality and also that (I think) he believes that "better to copy it, than to not have it". 
  2. Typesetting is copyrighted. So, if you typesett Philokalia and sell it, than just that edition is copyrighted, but not the text. So, you can quote or retype it, but you can not make a photocopy of it.
  3. For each country there is exact time (in years) for copyholders for having right over the material.
  4. Any new work can be copy-free IF the author made it so explicitely (GPL, open source, copyleft, creative common, etc etc).

----

I have the complete Philokalia in my big Amazon Kindle. It is good to read, but I prefer the paper copy. So you can annotate or write in something what is necessery. 

I can't read the Philokalia without pencil. 

And those books are absolutely not expenisve, and they are very sweet...

Reading on the screen makes me tired.

#24 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

There is an e-version of the Philokalia - all 4 volumes in one edition.  I assume it is the one Georgije mentioned.  Since he has it on his Kindle and I have it on my Nook, then I can assume that it is available in both formats.  As I recall, it was quite inexpensive (maybe $.99) or even free from the e-store.  If indeed, spiritual wisdom is a great treasure, then a dollar or even 10 dollars (its not that expensive) is a bargan price.So look on Amazon or B&N to see if you can purchase it there.

Fr David Moser

#25 Georgije Z.

Georgije Z.

Junior Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I think mine is not downloaded via Amazon Store, but found somewhere on the Internet as PDF.

I heard first about the Philokalia on an internet forum sme years ago, and than I recognized it as Dobrotolublie that I knew before (but not read).

However, I was thinking to order Dobrotolublie but it would take weeks to get. So I decided to buy the english version.

What happened was better than I expected, thanks to God. Since I am not a native english speaker, it took longer time to read and understand each sentence. It was good, so I couldn't take to much at once and I was concentrated on the each meaning. My english improved quickly as well.

But now when I compare Dobrotolublie and P&P's Philokalia I see that the english version is more precise and of a high quality, beautiful language.

Edited by Georgije Z., 06 July 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#26 dorje

dorje

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hello,

you were talking about copyrights.....

So, it is clear the (English) edition of Philokalia in pdf can be easily found on internet in many places....

The only issue may be only that not too many people do know what it actually is and is it worth to search for it.....

OK, I personally have the text of Philokalia in several languages and my question is:

What would be if I would publish excerpts from it, may be more, may be less, on my website?

Somebody would sue me and I should translate it again specially for my internet blog-site or the use, accessible for free, on the www, would be fine and under some Fair Use , etc. ?!

#27 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

Citing quotes from a source on the internet and crediting that source is not breaking the law. Making the text your own or gaining profit from it is. Don't kids in school have to use online source material for their term papers? Use their rules in quoting and commenting on source material.

Paul

#28 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

The 5 volumes of "Philokalia" online in modern Greek language : http://tinyurl.com/qjczo2j

(translated from the original by Antonios Galitis and published by "The garden of Virgin" http://www.toperivoli.gr/pages/en.htm  )

#29 dorje

dorje

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Citing quotes from a source on the internet and crediting that source is not breaking the law. Making the text your own or gaining profit from it is. Don't kids in school have to use online source material for their term papers? Use their rules in quoting and commenting on source material.

Paul

Kids may do for citing several lines; My question is about citing few hundreds of pages; and crediting the holy fathers, of course.

#30 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

Wow. I didn't know that Patristic writings could be copyrighted. Seems a little bit odd.

I agree.  I appreciate the fact that a lot of effort went into translating the Philokalia but it seems a little mercenary, if there is such a term, to copyright something that should be available to all in English.   The Greek Philokalia (which means love of the beautiful  :  philo = friend or lover and kalia something that is beautiful)   is available to all.

#31 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

Take a look at http://archive.org/d...TheCompleteText

jpw

That's the one I downloaded.   An audio version would be even more appreciated.   Age and eyesight are not a good mix, especially combined with a computer.

#32 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

Kids may do for citing several lines; My question is about citing few hundreds of pages; and crediting the holy fathers, of course.

Call the publisher and ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users