6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

An angel can illumine the thought and mind of man by strengthening the power of vision, and by bringing within his reach some truth that the angel himself contemplates.

I saw this quote today, and it strikes me as entirely odd, but I don't have the most learned background on the study of angels from an Orthodox, or any for that matter, perspective.

It was my understanding that angels have no such power, but only the Grace of God is able to do such things (divine light via purification of heart, illumination of the nous, deification, etc).

Anyone?

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:46 AM

Angels are the messengers of God...

#3 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

St. Dmitry of Rostov, in his Minea, quotes St. Gregory Dialogus on the order of archangels:

St Gregory the Dialogist says that the archangels strengthen people in the holy faith, enlightening their mind with the light of knowledge of the holy Gospel and revealing the mysteries of devout faith.

However, several sources note that angels cannot do anything miraculous on their own, but only by the will of God.

Edited by Michael Stickles, 17 September 2010 - 05:30 PM.
Added link and clarification

#4 Frank

Frank

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:43 AM

Revelation starts with a confirmation that Angels are as has been said, the messengers of God when sent.

Rev 1:1-2 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, (2) who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.

#5 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

It seems to me that there is a danger of considering an Angel as a kind of avatar of the Lord - a manifestation of the Lord himself. I'm pretty sure that we are taught that Angels are an order of created spiritual beings with free will, otherwise there is a lot of other tradition and indeed scripture that doesn't make any sense.

On the other hand the term 'Angel of the Lord' in the OT, at least, is often taken as meaning our Lord himself.

I too, could do with some more education on this, I think.

Richard.

#6 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

God is the Creator, and angels are created, so there is definitely a difference! It just seems that to the limited intellect of men, and/or from our fallen perspective, the boundary between the two can seem... "fuzzy". Sorry if that doesn't seem like much of an answer. It's just that God has not revealed all things to us. Certainly, as finite beings, by definition, we won't understand all the intricacies of God's universe, so it shouldn't really come as a shock that some things remain unknown.

Like the exact boundaries between the actions of God and the actions of His angels.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

#7 Frank

Frank

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:09 AM

St. Dmitry of Rostov, in his Minea, quotes St. Gregory Dialogus on the order of archangels:

However, several sources note that angels cannot do anything miraculous on their own, but only by the will of God.

Thank you so much for that link, glad I decided to take a look. What an awesome insight of Gods Angels!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users