43 replies to this topic

#41 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

St Cyprian of Antioch similarly "shot through the ranks" as it were. Admittedly not as fast as St Ambrose, but really fast, nonetheless.

But, the point is, even if they go that fast, they don't skip a step.

#42 Rdr. Andrew

Rdr. Andrew

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:49 AM

I can confirm, (if there was any doubt that the ranks of clergy must be attained in order and without skipping any), that, at least in the Patriarchal Russian tradition, that a person will not skip a rank of clergy.

I know this because Archbishop Justinian just ordained my spiritual brother Fr. Dn. Basil (called Will at the time) deacon from the rank of blessed (but not ordained) sub-deacon.

During the service, Archbishop Justinian tonsured him reader and then ordained him Sub-Deacon. He was an ordained sub-deacon from the Great Litany until Great Entrance when he was ordained Deacon. The point is that while he went from unordained sub-deacon to deacon in the same day, he still was placed in each subordinate rank, in order, prior to his ordination.

#43 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

I just read an interesting article in Orthodox Life on "The Reader in the Orthodox Church" by Reader Vitaly Efimenkov. I don't know if this particular article is online anywhere but it can be found in Orthodox Life Vol 62 No 1 (Jan/Feb 2011). He discusses the history of the office, the canonical grounding and the duties and place of the office in the Church today. If found it quite interesting.

Fr David Moser

#44 Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

To avoid problems, it is not uncommon for bishops to make a man subdeacon the day of his diaconal ordination. I have been at several ordinations, and have personally seen this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users